Home Open Account Help 408 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Helsinki-Part 2

Date: 02/20/18 12:04
Helsinki-Part 2
Author: CNStratford

One of the things I appreciate about Trainorders is the knowledgeable people who frequent it.
In my other life as a choir member I am singing in a concert on Saturday with Essi Wuorela of the Finnish acappela group Rajaton. We are singing two songs in Finnish. Thank you to GPutz for his Finnish greeting. I wish you were here to help my pronunciation!
Picture 1 - As you can see, Kerava station is in a pleasant setting.
Picture 2 - In the background you can see a junction. We think that goes to a freight-handling yard. Certainly there was some work equipment parked there. The station building is impressive.
Picture 3 - Here in Canada it is a miserable winter day. Pardon me if I post another lovely picture from a beautiful spring day.

Date: 02/20/18 16:11
Re: Helsinki-Part 2
Author: GPutz

At one time I also sang in choirs, but not in the last 30 years or so, and I don't speak much Suomeksi, either.

Just to the north of Kerava station there is a branch line that goes east and south to the harbor at Kilpilahti. On Google maps there appears to be quite a bit of industrial activity there. A branch off this branch goes further east to the small city of Porvoo. This branch has been used only by a museum railway for at least the last 15 years.

About 1 kilometer north of Kerava staiton there is a big flying junction where a line branches to the northeast off the mainline northwest to Tampere. This line was opened in 2005 as a short cut to the Russian border. At the start of your journey you probably traveled on it.

Gerry

Date: 02/20/18 22:01
Re: Helsinki-Part 2
Author: krm152

Thanks for Helsinki #2.
The cleanliness and brightness of the surroundings are impressive.
ALLEN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds