Home Open Account Help 317 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Beer anyone?

Date: 03/25/18 23:56
Beer anyone?
Author: 86235

Spent the weekend being a tourist in London, which included a couple of hours lineside on Saturday morning. Before we left London in march last year Saturday morning was a bit barren on the Gospel Oak to Barking Line, not so in 2018. between 09:30 and 11:10 there are four long distance freight trains, compared to one back in 2017. And this is the most interesting, a new international service on behalf of Asahi Breweries from Padova (Padua) in NE Italy to Tilbury, east of London, with GBRf, SNCF and SBB providing the motive power. It leaves Padova on Thursday afternoon, arriving in Tilbury on Saturday morning. Train consists of 14 ecofret twin platform container flats carrying 28 Unit45.com 45' boxes loaded with Moretti, Peroni and Asahi beers (Asahi acquired Peroni as part of the SABMiller / InBev merger).

Weather was not great but this is not a train I'm ever likely to see in South Wales so was determined to get a picture. 66775 HMS Argyll is approaching South Tottenham. The Goblin electrification infrastructure gets no less intrusive :-(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/18 23:57 by 86235.

Date: 03/26/18 00:51
Re: Beer anyone?
Author: spflow

Thanks - great stuff!

When are we going to see an actual electric train on this line?

Will any of them be freight? Or is it just going to be some more class 378 units?

I hope you enjoyed your return to north London!

Date: 03/26/18 04:07
Re: Beer anyone?
Author: 86235

They're currently working on the bridge at Crouch Hillstation, it needs to be raised by 300mm apparently. Why now and why not when the work was 'planned' is beyond me. Testing of the new class 710 EMUs is supposed to start fairly soon so maybe we'll see electric services by summer? As for freight I guess it depends on the operators. DRS may turn the Tesco train over to class 88s and DBC the Mossend to Dagenham to 90s. But I can't see intermodals to and from London Gateway being electrically hauled.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0306 seconds