Home Open Account Help 374 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Railfanning in Sweden?

Date: 03/26/18 05:18
Railfanning in Sweden?
Author: guitarboy

I'll be visiting my daughter and family in Onsala for the third time, this time for a whole month, mid April-mid May, so I'll have time to catch some rail action. I'm looking for suggestions on hot spots, museums, steam trips, freight hubs, etc. Are there any steam trips in nearby countries scheduled during my stay? Thanks in advance.

Terry Green
Garrett, IN

Date: 03/26/18 09:50
Re: Railfanning in Sweden?
Author: andersonb109

The railway museum at Gavel a few hours north of Stockholm by train is worth a visit with lots of vintage equipment. There are numerous heritage railways through the country but most seem to only operate on weekends.

Date: 03/26/18 10:00
Author: 86235

The museum at Gavle is some 500 kms to the NE of your location. I had business in Kungsbacka a few years ago and spent a very enjoyable day railfanning the mainline from Gothenburg to Halmstad. There were plenty of trains, freight and passenger. At Varobacka, north of Varberg there's a paper mill which received and generated substantial car loads.

Date: 03/27/18 17:45
Author: dwatry

I like checking out the Roslagsbanan in Stockholm - a narrow gauge, electrified inter-urban-ish line. Connects at Stockholm Ost to the subway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslagsbanan

Date: 03/28/18 01:23
Author: railwaybaron

You simply must ride the railway to Narvik!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/18 01:23 by railwaybaron.

Date: 03/30/18 06:40
Author: SD70M

Indeed, seeing those ore trains from Narvik-Kiruna is definitely worth doing

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds