Home Open Account Help 316 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Train travel in Norway for RT Oslo to Bergen

Date: 04/03/18 13:00
Train travel in Norway for RT Oslo to Bergen
Author: BenWight

I want to take the train in October to Bergen from Oslo & return. What is the scenery like? Worth taking a day trip? Is it worth paying the extra 100 krona for Komfort? Is Komfort in a separate coach? I will be departing for a cruise upon arrival to Bergen. Worth spending a night in Bergen?
Thanks,
Ben
Davis, CA.

Date: 04/03/18 13:12
Re: Train travel in Norway for RT Oslo to Bergen
Author: RNinRVR

If you subscribe to Netflix it has a video of the entire trip from Bergan to Oslo under the SlowTV heading.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 04/03/18 14:30
Author: Ray_Murphy

RNinRVR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you subscribe to Netflix it has a video of the
> entire trip from Bergan to Oslo under the SlowTV
> heading.

It's also available in half-hour segments here:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5689179/watch-a-7-hour-train-ride-through-norway-set-entirely-to-electronic-music/

Date: 04/03/18 15:32
Author: Dday

The nine hour journey is also available on YouTube.

The show was originally filmed by a Norwegian TV station and broadcast LIVE!

Don

Date: 04/03/18 15:44
Author: DWDebs/2472

Oslo to Bergen scenery is spectacular, some of the best anywhere. Donner Pass and Tennessee Pass are tame in comparison. The "Norway in a Nutshell" tour (https://www.norwaynutshell.com/original-norway-in-a-nutshell/oslo/) scenery is close to unbelievable. It includes the Flåm branch line (Norwegian: Flåmsbana) branch line, which drops 2,831' down (5.5% maximum grade!) from Myrdal to Flåm (at sea level), where you board a small boat to continue west on the spectacular Aurlandsfjord.

- Doug Debs

Date: 04/03/18 15:55
Author: WoodwardEJ

I've had the pleasure of riding the NSB trains between Oslo and Bergen in July 2006 (Geilo to Myrdal), February 2013 (Bergen to Oslo), and June 2016 (Myrdal to Bergen). Scenery is wonderful - on par with the best North America has to offer. The full trip takes about 8 hours one way, so spending at least one night in Bergen is recommended. Bergen also has a lot of things to see, such as Edvard Grieg's home, Hanseatic Museum, Haakon's Hall, Rosenkrantz Tower, Floibanen Funicular.

If you can spare the time, consider taking the Norway in a Nutshell Tour, which includes the Flam Railway and a boat ride in one of Norway's scenic fjords. It can be arranged either at the end of the journey from Oslo to Bergen or at the beginning of the trip from Bergen to Oslo. Here are some photos.

1) East of Finse - July 27, 2006

2) Finse Station - July 27, 2006 - Highest station on the line between Oslo and Bergen at 4009 ft.

3) Kjosfossen Waterfall - on the Flam Railway - July 27, 2006

Date: 04/03/18 16:01

More photos:

4) Floibanen Funicular - July 28, 2006

5) View of Bergen's Old Harbor from Mt Floi - July 28, 2006

6) Mjoflell - East of Bergen - February 21, 2013

Date: 04/03/18 16:06

More photos:

7) Langavatnet - February 21, 2013

8) Flamsdalen from East of Myrdal - February 21, 2013

9) Reinungvatnet - feeds Kjosfossen - February 21, 2013

Date: 04/03/18 16:10

More photos:

10) Finse Station - Summit of the line from Oslo to Bergen - February 21, 2013

11) Near Nysettjornan - between Finse and Haugastol - February 21, 2013

Date: 04/03/18 17:15
Author: jfrank39

It's a beautiful trip and one of the ten best in the world. And don't miss a trip on the Flam. Take a day trip one way and the night train in a sleeper the other. And yes spend a day seeing Bergen. The Norway railways offers many tours if you want to go that route. https://www.nsb.no/en/about-nsb The Flam is here: https://www.visitflam.com/en/flamsbana/ Enjoy your trip.

Date: 04/03/18 17:43
Author: tsmith5414

My wife and took the trip from Oslo to Bergen this last August. Sit on the left side in Comfort class. The scenery is fantastic you wont be disapointed.

Date: 04/04/18 09:39
Author: BenWight

Thanks to all of the responses. We will change our itinerary to include these suggestions.
Ben

Date: 04/04/18 21:10
Author: norm1153

Yes, absolutely fantastic! It is not all snow. There are many, many tunnels, some short, some long. In fact one very long tunnel has a station.

Date: 04/05/18 11:23
Author: Latebeans

I will second all of the above. My wife and I did both the Oslo - Bergen trip and the Norway in a Nutshell tour and they were great. Also, in Bergen we stayed at the Hotel Grand Terminus, just across the street on the north side of the Bergen station tainshed. All of the trains we rode in Norway were clean, comfortable and on time.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/05/18 18:46
Author: joemagruder

My daughter lives in Oslo with in laws in Bergen so I have taken the Oslo-Bergen train several times. Now I know why my son-in-law just nodded politely when we took him to Yosemite - which I consider the best scenery in California.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds