Home Open Account Help 317 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Upcoming trip to Europe questions...

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/07/18 16:51
Upcoming trip to Europe questions...
Author: goduckies

I am thinking of taking the train from Berlin to Krakow Poland. Then to Vienna and through the German Alps to Munich. From there to Zermatt and down to Milan and over to Nice. Then finally to Paris and near Normandy. Is that a good routing? Is there a more efficent way i should do that? And i assume the Global pass would work for all those trains?

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/18 16:51 by goduckies.

Date: 04/07/18 17:47
Re: Upcoming trip to Europe questions...
Author: mundo

AS to scenery and railfan interest, will leave to others.

If you need info on the trains-stations-tips go to: https://www.seat61.com/news.htm#.V-ILM2cVC1t

Date: 04/07/18 18:41
Author: Krokodil

There are several ways between Munich and Zermatt, depending on how much time you have. If you like narrow gauge railroads, I would recommend to go through Chur (Switzerland)-Andermatt-Brig-Zermatt. Chur can be reached by backtracking to Innsbruck-Arlberg pass-Bregenz-Cur, as slightly longer but very scenic route. More direct would be Munich-Zürich-Chur with a single change train in Zürich. The shortest distance route is Munich-St Magreten (in Switzerland just across the border with Austria)-Buchs-Chur. It requires more changes of trains but is also very scenic. Trains in Switzerland are very frequent, at least very hour most every half hour with short connection times. Not sure if the Matterhorn railway (Disentis-Brig-Zermatt) is accepting your rail pass or only gives a 50%reduction.

Enjoy your trip

Thomas Eckhardt

Date: 04/07/18 18:57
Author: tq-07fan

If you are planning this out early enough in advance and have set dates and a set itinerary then by all means go for advance ticketing. I found that the various passes in other countries are only good if you are going to do a lot of train riding or have no set schedule. I've done both because each trip is different.

Germany, as an American you can create a login for https://www.bahn.de/ and purchase tickets, either print at home or if you are cool (like me) have them mailed to for something like four Euro or something.

Other countries vary, France wants you to use RailEurope but I found a way around that, use https://www.trainline.eu/

Poland is a bit difficult, I have only looked at trains there and have never booked anything, yet.

As for your routing, I think that's entirely up to you. If you have the time and want to collect the mileage, (or kilometerage?) then I say go for it.

Jim

Date: 04/07/18 19:22
Author: andersonb109

I suggest doing a pass. That way you can ride when you want where you want. And if you miss a connection or change your mind, it's not problem. Currently there is a massive rail strike in France. Unlike the U.S. they do tell you what days the trains won't be running. It's not every day until a settlement is reached. The French Unions hate the current French President and these actions will probably continue for some time. So best to avoid France if you can.

Date: 04/07/18 20:30
Author: LIL_BUDDY

I've done Berlin to Krakow several times on a few different routes. The trips have always been enjoyable on a variety of equipment and run on time nearly all the time.train travel in Poland is outstanding.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/08/18 11:23
Author: gaspeamtrak

Check out www.seat61.com . It's a "excellent website" as "Mundo " said. :):):)

Date: 04/08/18 16:17
Author: mexrail

I used the eurail pass last April-May. I had a set itinerary and it worked fine. On two occasions where a late train caused me to miss a connection, it was very simple to just hop on the next train. Did 37 days and 12 countries. Started in Madrid, then to Sevilla-Barcelona-Nice-Rome-Florence-Venice-Milan-Chur(Bernina Express)-Lucerne-Berne-Munich-Vienna-Budapest-Prague-Berlin-Rothenburg-Cologne-Amsterdam-Bruges-Paris.

Agree "The man in seat 61 is invaluable" Read it first.

Mexrail

Date: 04/09/18 09:13
Author: pennengineer

Also be aware that some trains on your itinerary require seat reservations and possibly supplements if using a rail pass. The intercity trains in Poland, Italy, and France being prominent examples. If you use an English-language journey planner such as that of Deutsche Bahn the reservation requirements (if present) will be shown in the commentary field next to the corresponding trains.

Date: 04/09/18 14:14

Thanks for your help so far!

Posted from Android

Date: 04/10/18 00:59
Author: SP4360

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suggest doing a pass. That way you can ride when
> you want where you want. And if you miss a
> connection or change your mind, it's not problem.
> Currently there is a massive rail strike in
> France. Unlike the U.S. they do tell you what days
> the trains won't be running. It's not every day
> until a settlement is reached. The French Unions
> hate the current French President and these
> actions will probably continue for some time. So
> best to avoid France if you can.

Well, since the US doesn't rail strike............

Date: 04/10/18 17:45

I may also go from Krakow to Prague instead of Vienna i see there is a night train to Prague. That would save me a day of travel.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/11/18 01:33
Author: pennengineer

goduckies Wrote:
> I may also go from Krakow to Prague instead of
> Vienna i see there is a night train to Prague.
> That would save me a day of travel.
>
> Posted from Android

There's also a night train from Krakow to Vienna: EN 407. Take a look here: http://www.nightjet.com/en/ausstattung/nightjet-partner.html

Date: 04/11/18 03:29

Should i visit vienna or prague for a day? Prauge seems really beautiful vienna to, but Prague even more.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/11/18 04:22
Author: 86235

goduckies Wrote:
> Should i visit vienna or prague for a day? Prauge
> seems really beautiful vienna to, but Prague even
> more.
>
> Posted from Android

I don't think a day would do either justice, both cities merit multiple days, each had so much to see.

Date: 04/11/18 11:47
Author: symph1

goduckies Wrote:
> Should i visit vienna or prague for a day? Prauge
> seems really beautiful vienna to, but Prague even
> more.
>
> Posted from Android

Vienna was badly bombed during WW II while Prague was not. So there is less new construction in the latter. Interesting tidbit: the film Amadeus, which supposedly takes place in Austria, was largely filmed in Prague.

Also, the most interesting areas are more compact in Prague. So if you really only have one day, I'd recommend Prague.

On the other hand, more people will speak English in Vienna. If that matters to you...

Date: 04/12/18 12:37
Author: mexrail

I would agree if you only have one day, Prague gets the edge but just barely. Vienna is a beautiful refined city. Figure out how to do both.

Mexrail

Date: 04/14/18 20:01
Author: 3rd_Raton

mexrail Wrote:
> I would agree if you only have one day, Prague
> gets the edge but just barely. Vienna is a
> beautiful refined city. Figure out how to do
> both.

There's a Youtube channel entitled "Video tours of Prague". Most of the videos are from a camera mounted on the front of a Tram (streetcar). This is both great from a railfan perspective (to see the tram system) and a tourist point of view to see the city.

>
> Mexrail

Date: 04/23/18 13:59
Author: andersonb109

Go to the train restaurant in Prague. You won't regret it. All drinks are brought to your table by G Scale trains. Food is decent as well. Peak times have lines out the door.

Date: 04/23/18 14:29
Author: exhaustED

Prague, definitely.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0786 seconds