Home Open Account Help 284 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Castle Cary and measuring

Date: 04/27/18 12:19
Castle Cary and measuring
Author: Hartington

When I lived in the Thames Valley the local services were run by class 165 and 166 "Turbo" units. With the (partial) electrification of most of the GWR lines out of Paddington these units are migrating west to where I live now. Before they can be used though "they" have to make sure everything fits - step heights are acceptable, the trains won't hit a platform etc. So here we have a 166 entering platform 1 at Castle Cary. Once it stops men get out with measuring devices and some of the crew decide they want to record their presence for posterity!

Date: 04/27/18 19:50
Re: Castle Cary and measuring
Author: GPutz

Mind the gap. Gerry

Date: 04/28/18 22:55
Author: joemagruder

Does the yellow line in picture #2 tell us that the platform is too low?

Date: 04/28/18 23:20

The yellow line is a warning, but not about the height. We are reminded to keep behind the yellow line. The turbulence from a train passing at speed is surprisingly strong; even a 45 mph freight. Castle Cary sees trains passing through at 100 mph and those same trains will be doing 125 mph through stations nearer London.

Date: 04/29/18 04:27
Author: cricketer8for9

Or was the question about the yellow line above and to the left of the green box in photo 2?

Date: 04/29/18 10:57

I have to admit I know nothing about the measuring device, They didn't really stop long enough to ask.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds