Home Open Account Help 315 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Trier Plandampf Steam Nostalgia-Part 1

Date: 05/15/18 17:04
Trier Plandampf Steam Nostalgia-Part 1
Author: CNStratford

From April 28 to May 1 of this year, there was a special Steam Spectacle in the Trier region of Germany. For me this was a special event because fifty years ago I was able to go to the area before it was electrified. I hope you enjoy the pictures I will be sharing. All were taken with a cheap fixed lens 35mm camera.
Picture 1 - The governments of Rheinland-Pfalz-Takt and Saarland are to be praised for the excellent brochure they put out this year.
Picture 2 - taken March 25 1968 in Trier. It is an unusual 2-6-2. Can someone help me with the Class?
Picture 3 - taken March 25 1968 in Trier. Again what is the Class number of this out of service 2-8-2?

Date: 05/16/18 09:12
Re: Trier Plandampf Steam Nostalgia-Part 1
Author: spflow

Thanks for the great pics! Isn't the 2-6-2 a class 23 (one of the few if only post-war steam designs)?

Date: 05/16/18 20:44
Author: Krokodil

Class 23 is the post WW2 engine produced in the highest number 105 in total, 23 105 was the last steam engine produced for the German Federal Railways, I believe in 1955. There were other post WW2 engine series (BR 65, 82, 66, 10, the later two produced in only 2 engines, as dieselization and electrification was in full swing). The engine in picture 3 is a BR (Baureihe) 39, a former Prussian 3 cylinder engine type P10, used last on the line between Cologne and Trier.

Thomas Eckhardt

Hurricane Utah

Date: 05/16/18 21:08
Author: spflow

Krokodil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Class 23 is the post WW2 engine produced in the
> highest number 105 in total, 23 105 was the last
> steam engine produced for the German Federal
> Railways, I believe in 1955. There were other post
> WW2 engine series (BR 65, 82, 66, 10, the later
> two produced in only 2 engines, as dieselization
> and electrification was in full swing). The engine
> in picture 3 is a BR (Baureihe) 39, a former
> Prussian 3 cylinder engine type P10, used last on
> the line between Cologne and Trier.
>
> Thomas Eckhardt
>

Thanks for the definitive info, I thought it looked a bit unkempt for a more modern locomotive, and also didn't the class 23 have a wider chimney and more straightforward footplate at the front?
> Hurricane Utah

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0458 seconds