Home Open Account Help 324 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Clapham then and now

Date: 05/22/18 21:52
Clapham then and now
Author: dwatry

Two shots taken 36 years apart in roughly the same location around the curve from Clapham Junction Station - lots of vegetation has grown up in the interim period, a new fence has been built keeping you further back from the tracks, so the exact same photo angle doesn't work anymore. But the houses in the background are still the same (though a few have popped-up new dormers), there is still a signal bridge there (but looks like a newer version), and EMU trains still slide by on a regular basis!

1. August 1980 - BR Southern Region EMU set (4-CIG perhaps?)
2. April 2016 - SWT EMU set.

The 1980 shot is definitely more interesting. More atmospheric, wouldn't you say?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/18 23:29 by dwatry.

Date: 05/23/18 02:26
Re: Clapham then and now
Author: railsmith

dwatry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> 1. August 1980 - BR Southern Region EMU set (4-CIG
> perhaps?)

With that door configuration, 4-VEP.

Date: 05/23/18 04:28
Author: Korigaoka1811

I like the 1980 picture better myself. Laundry out to dry! In the contemporary shot I believe I see some ugly graffiti -- another of America's gifts to the world . . .

John

Date: 05/23/18 06:51
Author: Hartington

The 2nd picture is a DMU - probably class 159 (just possibly a 158).

Date: 05/23/18 06:59
Author: Arkeytek

Ummm. Graffiti started in ancient Egypt.

Date: 05/23/18 08:05

Arkeytek Wrote:
> Ummm. Graffiti started in ancient Egypt.

Yes, it did. It's probably older than that. Part of our nature.

But contemporary spray paint vandalism started in America. And I'm not proud of it.

John

RAILROAD CONTENT!
I took this picture in Bath (or Dover?) when I was there on vacation in '85. I liked Bath and Dover a lot and BR too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/18 08:14 by Korigaoka1811.

Date: 05/23/18 09:38
Author: 86235

dwatry Wrote:
> The 1980 shot is definitely more interesting.
> More atmospheric, wouldn't you say?
Yes, but I wouldn't wish a 4VEP on anyone, Victorian trains being turned out in the 1970s, they were dreadful. Sadly they were very robust and lasted until the end of Southern slam door stock in 2005.

Date: 05/23/18 18:09
Author: Hartington

I think the last picture is Bath. Do you happen to remember what day of the week and roughly the time of day? I'm wondering what service you got a picture of.

Date: 05/24/18 04:27

Hartington Wrote:
> I think the last picture is Bath. Do you happen
> to remember what day of the week and roughly the
> time of day? I'm wondering what service you got
> a picture of.

Well, the month was March (1985) and I think it was a weekday because I can't recall there being that many weekend tourists around town or on the train. I'm pretty sure I took this picture mid-afternoon while waiting for a train back to London because I would have been too excited, this being my first time in Bath, or Britain for that matter, to stay around the station and watch trains. (Of course now I wish I had devoted at least one day to only train-watching and photography but I was just a kid in his 20s!)

I got a map of a walking tour of Bath and had a great time. So much to see for a young American in Bath in addition to the baths.

Below is one more picture (not very good) of a train at Bath. I'm not sure if this is the same train or a EMU car. It looks like the car has a yellow end which, I think, indicates it was a cab car.

Hope this helps figure out exactly what train service I saw.

John

John

Date: 05/24/18 13:11
Author: 86235

That's definitely NOT Bath, that's a rebuilt 4CEP 750v DC EMU, probably Dover Priory? The class 33 in the first picture is on a Portsmouth Harbour to Bristol Temple Meads or Cardiff Central service, headcode 89.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/18 14:12 by 86235.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds