Home Open Account Help 318 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Molti Treni Sanza Soste hump yard

Date: 06/06/18 19:23
Molti Treni Sanza Soste hump yard
Author: JLinDE

Can anyone please tell me where this hump yard is? Sounds like Italy. it is huge. I see it on YouTube humping cars and the person does a very good job of showing all aspects. I want to find it on a map; I have a good European Atlas, and look at it on Google Earth. Being familiar in my RR career with a few US hump yards, it is obvious to me that in the class yard 'bowl' that the tracks are more widely separated and there is a paved walkway in between. Therefore it seems to me that the class yard is also the departure yard, no need to double out trains like we do in the US. Still using buffers and their no-knuckle coupler system it still seems efficient to me given that the coupler system means much shorter trains than here. But cities are much closer and whole trains, even short, can provide good service. I just wonder why everything I read about European Railways says they are losing individual carload business and trucks are taking over. How many freight trains enter and leave that yard every day?

Date: 06/07/18 00:13
Re: Molti Treni Sanza Soste hump yard
Author: 86235

Molti treni senza soste is Italian for many trains without stopping. I think you're watching a Swiss yard as the owner of the footage, trainfart, appears to be Swiss and the locos I've seen, with SBB plastered on their side certainly are.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/18 00:23 by 86235.

Date: 06/07/18 06:14
Author: Steinzeit2

Limmattal yard, northwest of Zürich; it sits on the west side of the main line between Zürich and Baden.

SZ

Date: 06/07/18 19:27
Author: JLinDE

Thanks for both replies. Now I know where to look and learn more out of my own curiosity.

Date: 06/08/18 13:36
Author: SOO6617

Figure 20 to 25 trains arrive and depart each shift. About 3200 cars are humped each day. Under SBB's new domestic carload program they try and turn over the yard each shift in 6 to 7 hours. Then the connecting freights to the other 3 carload hubs depart as soon as possible.

Date: 06/09/18 21:20
Author: zorz

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Molti treni senza soste is Italian for many trains
> without stopping. I think you're watching a Swiss
> yard as the owner of the footage, trainfart,
> appears to be Swiss and the locos I've seen, with
> SBB plastered on their side certainly are.

On that note, Trainfart (I don’t think he gets the American joke) does a large number of very high quality YouTube vids for European trains.

Date: 06/10/18 04:04
Author: Ray_Murphy

zorz Wrote:
> On that note, Trainfart (I don’t think he gets
> the American joke) does a large number of very
> high quality YouTube vids for European trains.

It's just as bad for some names crossing the linguistic boundary from english to german:

https://www.practicalecommerce.com/Language-Translation-Test-Product-Names-before-Entering-New-Countries

Date: 06/11/18 10:26
Author: TAW

JLinDE Wrote:
> I just wonder why
> everything I read about European Railways says
> they are losing individual carload business and
> trucks are taking over.

I went to an open access track charges summit in Amsterdam in April. It seems that trucking is more heavily subsidized in Europe than it is here. The EU has set up a fair competition structure within each mode but not between the modes. In the US, trucks do 95 percent of the damage to roads, require additional infrastructure not needed solely for auto traffic, and pay 35 percent of the cost. In Europe, it's 20 percent.

TAW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds