Home Open Account Help 287 users online

European Railroad Discussion > UK Tourist Lines Questions

Date: 06/14/18 20:28
UK Tourist Lines Questions
Author: bluesman

My wife and I are going on a cruise ship tour around the UK soon. Ports include Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dublin, Holyhead, and Dover. I am wondering if some of you have some suggestions as to tourist lines to visit or short day trips to take from any of those cities?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/18 20:39 by bluesman.

Date: 06/15/18 00:31
Re: UK Tourist Lines Questions
Author: 86235

The Scottish Railway Preservation Society is at Bo'ness, some 15 miles west of Edinburgh. There's no national rail connection, you have to get a train to Linlithgow and either a bus or taxi.

In Glasgow there's the museum at Kelvingrove which has some locomotives on view.

Holyhead is not well placed for any heritage operations unless you're there overnight. North Wales narrow gauge operations are some 30 miles away from Holyhead but getting there would require a train to Bangor and a taxi from there to Caernarfon (for Welsh Highland Railway) or Llanberis (for Snowdon Mountain Railway or Llanberis Lake Railway).

The Romney Hythe and Dymchurch 15" gauge railway is about 10 miles west of Dover, again you will need to catch a train to Folkestone and a bus or taxi from there to Hythe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/18 11:16 by 86235.

Date: 06/15/18 02:34
Author: exhaustED

Good answers from 86235.

Date: 06/15/18 03:23
Author: 55002

Just to add to Nik's reply, there is The Riverside Museum at Glasgow, often referred to as the transport museum. This is at Pointhouse Quay, on the north bank of the river Clyde. My little knowledge of cruise ships at Glasgow suggests they berth at Greenock, on the south bank. This would involve the train into Glasgow Central, and one back out to the museum, getting off at Partik or Exhibition stations. Chris uk.

Date: 06/15/18 07:41
Author: tq-07fan

It's not a Tourist Train but there is only one Forth Bridge and you can't miss it!

You can take the commuter trains from Edinburgh to North Queensferry and walk down the steep hill to get pictures or take the commuter trains to Inverkeithing and ride the bus to it, or ride back instead of walking up the steep hill.

http://bay-travel.co.uk/timetables/89-89a%20crossford%20nth%20queens%20n%20Aug.pdf

Lots of train traffic but the bridge itself is spectacular.

Have Fun!

Jim

Date: 06/16/18 04:12
Author: 55002

Most cruise ships visiting Edinburgh, actually moor up in the Forth at Queensferry. I think you'll be parked up near here.Chris uk.

Date: 06/20/18 14:27
Author: Peak45068

The final morning before we flew back over the pond yesterday from Edinburgh, I took the wife to North Queensferry . Walked down the hill and got some great pictures of the Forth Rail Bridge. Weather fantastic and it's only £5.80 return on a 25 year old Class 158 unit. Not quite a Class 27 that I used to travel on in the 1980's, but worth the visit. Now sat on today's Crescent making our way back to Atlanta after sampling Amtrak into Grand Central.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/09/18 20:21
Author: bluesman

55002 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most cruise ships visiting Edinburgh, actually
> moor up in the Forth at Queensferry. I think
> you'll be parked up near here.Chris uk.

Indeed, our ship pulled up to the bridge and we wre shuttled to the docks. We went up to the station and shot some photos and watched many trains roll through.  Had lunch in town and  had a good walk around. Great little community.
Thanks to all respondents!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds