Home Open Account Help 221 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Artists or vandals?

Date: 06/19/18 10:03
Artists or vandals?
Author: newtonville150

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/19/tributes-graffiti-artists-killed-loughborough-junction-train-london

Most coverage of this incident seems to portray the victims as artists. Officials and politicians have been
roundly criticised and censured for referring to the people as “common scum and criminals who cost the railways millions
and keep fares high”. Certainly there doesn't seem to me to be much artistic merit in their work to judge by the picture from
Twitter that accompanies this article. At the risk of opening a can of worms, what do you guys think?

...jr, Toronto

Date: 06/19/18 10:44
Re: Artists or vandals?
Author: march_hare

Most of it is gang-banger crap, but I have to admit I have seen some really impressive talent displayed on American freight cars. I just wish they'd do it on billboards, walls, something in their own neighborhood instead of defacing cars that roll around the country.

Date: 06/19/18 12:12
Author: ATSF3751

There are folks on TO who think decorating freight cars is perfectly fine since it does not interfere with the ability of the car to haul freight for the owners. I personally think that is more of a rationalization then a valid reason. It's not like one can/will go ask stockholders or owners if they would be ok with a few decorations on their equipment before starting such a project.

Would that be ok for others to decorate your personal vehicle and then explaining...."well, I didn't paint over the windows.....so what is the big deal?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/18 15:33 by ATSF3751.

Date: 06/19/18 12:18
Author: co614

We were plagued with constant graffiti on our coaches in BC some years ago. One night we caught 4 of the " artists" red handed with their spray cans and in the act. My security detail took them to the utility room in the back of the roundhouse, hog tied them and " forgot" about them for about 29 hours. They were told if they ever came back the next time they'd be forgotten for a week.

We never had another incident.

IMHO they're criminals and need to be treated as such.

Ross Rowland

Date: 06/19/18 12:24
Author: raytc1944

They are scum of the earth!

Date: 06/19/18 13:24
Author: 86235

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IMHO they're criminals and need to be treated
> as such.
>
> Ross Rowland

Quite agree, what happened at Loughborough Junction was tragic, not just for them but for the railway staff and emergency services who had to clear up. The clearances are extremely tight, if they didn't understand the risk they were taking then it is difficult to feel very much sympathy.

Date: 06/19/18 15:36
Author: DKay

There is going to be an exhibition of ''Street Art'' in my town (Australia) this coming weekend.I understand there is a University here that has a cource/degree on street art.!!!!
Regards,DK

Date: 06/19/18 16:37
Author: TomG

DKay Wrote:
> There is going to be an exhibition of ''Street
> Art'' in my town (Australia) this coming weekend.I
> understand there is a University here that has a
> cource/degree on street art.!!!!
> Regards,DK

You should walk by and deface it with your own spray can and see if they like it.

Date: 06/19/18 19:01
Author: PHall

TomG Wrote:
> DKay Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There is going to be an exhibition of ''Street
> > Art'' in my town (Australia) this coming
> weekend.I
> > understand there is a University here that has
> a
> > cource/degree on street art.!!!!
> > Regards,DK
>
>
> You should walk by and deface it with your own
> spray can and see if they like it.

Why stoop to their level?

Date: 06/20/18 21:33
Author: jcaestecker

"Common scum and criminals" is a perfect description of those low-lifers. Bet their parents must be so proud.

-john

Date: 06/21/18 17:40
Author: LarryDoyle

If it isn't your canvas, it isn't art.

-LD

Date: 06/22/18 09:09
Author: newtonville150

LarryDoyle Wrote:
> If it isn't your canvas, it isn't art.
>
> -LD

<Like>

Date: 06/22/18 22:05
Author: needles_sub

Graffiti is like the weather, everyone talks about it, but nothing is done about it. Graffiti is a fact of life and is here to stay. Why get upset about something you, or anyone else, can do nothing about. Railroads don't care. They seem fine with it. Make peace with it and move on. Life's too short.

Date: 06/24/18 07:21
Author: andersonb109

"Wonderful boy." Don't think so. No sympathy here.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds