Home Open Account Help 287 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Dual roundhouses in Ceská Trebová, Czechia

Date: 07/01/18 20:29
Dual roundhouses in Ceská Trebová, Czechia
Author: inCHI

I stumbled across an excellent rail cam at Ústí nad Orlicí, Czechia (search for Oustecké“ nádraží v přímém přenosu ) and started looking around to see where that really was. It looks like it is on a main route from east to west across the country with routes that connect to every surrounding county. A bit farther east of the camera is Ceská Trebová, which appears to be a hump yard. Looking at the aerial image I was surprised to see two roundhouses next to each other. I don't how common that is but I haven't seen it anywhere. If you look it up there are some neat photos people have posted at the site of the roundhouse.

Date: 07/02/18 06:39
Re: Dual roundhouses in Ceská Trebová, Czechia
Author: SOO6617

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I stumbled across an excellent rail cam at Ústí
> nad Orlicí, Czechia (search for Oustecké“
> nádraží v přímém přenosu ) and started
> looking around to see where that really was. It
> looks like it is on a main route from east to west
> across the country with routes that connect to
> every surrounding county. A bit farther east of
> the camera is Ceská Trebová, which appears to be
> a hump yard. Looking at the aerial image I was
> surprised to see two roundhouses next to each
> other. I don't how common that is but I haven't
> seen it anywhere. If you look it up there are some
> neat photos people have posted at the site of the
> roundhouse.

Twin roundhouses were not that rare in Europe. IIRC there are at least two instances of three roundhouses side by side.

Date: 07/02/18 08:57
Author: 86235

Date: 07/02/18 15:48
Author: Krokodil

Twin roundhouses are quite common in Germany, Bamberg, Hof come to mind.

Thomas Eckhardt
Hurricane Utah

Date: 07/02/18 18:46
Author: LIL_BUDDY

In Poland: Piła, Gniezno and Katowice for starters.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/03/18 16:19
Author: inCHI

Thanks, I don't know that much about European railways and certainly would like to travel them more. The czech camera is interesting to me because it shows something like 4-8 passenger trains stopping for passengers between 4-5am, which seems very early for that much service, and a few passenger trains that have car carriers on them.

Date: 07/03/18 21:08
Author: airbrakegeezer

I don't know how common they were in North America, but there certainly were a few. One that comes to mind is Pitcairn, PA (about 12 miles east of Pittsburgh, and until the mid-1950's the main PRR classification yard for western Pennsylvania). In steam days, Pitcairn had two full-circle roundhouses right next to each other; when I first arrived in the Pittsburgh area, parts of them were still there, one used for M-o-W machinery, and the other, IIRC for diesel locomotive maintenance and light repairs. There are several aerial photos of Pitcairn yard that show these structures, although all mine are in books, so I can't scan and post them.

Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0475 seconds