Home Open Account Help 219 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Belgrade's main rail station closed after 134 years

Date: 07/04/18 14:20
Belgrade's main rail station closed after 134 years
Author: inCHI

"Belgrade’s main railway station has been closed down after 134 years and it’s main building, erected in 1884, will be transformed into a museum of the history of the establishment of the Serbian state. Trains will from now on be running from the railway station Belgrade Center for all domestic and international lines, except the Belgrade-Bar line which will start at the Topcider station."

http://rs.n1info.com/a400467/English/NEWS/Belgrade-s-main-railway-station-closed-after-134-years.html

A comment on the article and comments I've seen elsewhere notes that "People, Prokop is not a station! It's just unfinished construction." The original station is in a location with trams and transit outside, I would wonder if the newer location is, or any other details of how trains can work there. Wikipedia has an article on the "Belgrade railway junction" that explains the recofiguring of the tracks in the whole area and how the Belgrade Center station fits into it, but also notes that the station lacks transit connections, and a station building (!) yet has most of the service.

The original route, station tracks, and servicing facilities are being torn up to make way for development, and the old station will be the only thing included in that development. In a video of the last day of service, those commemorating the station or opposing its closure are holding a sign that someone translated as saying "railway outside the center" (referring to the location of the new station) and "third world country."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/18 14:39 by inCHI.

Date: 07/04/18 19:17
Re: Belgrade's main rail station closed after 134 years
Author: andersonb109

Here's a photo of the station taken last October prior to a trip to Bosnia for industrial steam. Good at least the building is being kept. Here it would be toast. 

Date: 07/04/18 19:19
Author: andersonb109

And yes, Serbia is indeed a third world country. Belgrade is one of the least attractive and unkept cities I've ever visited.

Date: 07/06/18 07:44
Author: LTCerny

Respectfully offering a different opinion, my wife and I had an enjoyable time riding the trams in Belgrade in 2015..

​Louis Cerny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/18 07:49 by LTCerny.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0351 seconds