Home Open Account Help 275 users online

European Railroad Discussion > UK: Steam: Lynton & Barnstaple Railway, North Devon

Date: 07/07/18 00:13
UK: Steam: Lynton & Barnstaple Railway, North Devon
Author: Milepost_130

On Friday, July 6, 2018, a couple of hours were spent at the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway.  This 2-foot narrow gauge railway resembles the WW&F, Alna, Maine, USA in many ways:
  • The original railway was much longer than the present-day incarnation.
  • A small length of track, in this case, 1 mile, has been restored.
  • Enthusiasts are working to re-establish operations along several additional miles of the original right-of-way.
In addition to the interesting history of this railway, the main attraction (for me, at least) was to see "Lyn" in steam.  "Lyn" is a newly-built steam locomotive, built to original specifications of a 1898 Baldwin design.
Serviceable Locomotives
  • Southern 762 "Lyn," 2-4-2 (Alan Keefe 92 / 2017).  Newly built after a 1898 Baldwin design.
  • "Axe," 0-6-0 (Kerr, Stuart & Co. 2451 / 1915), Joffre class, 60 centimeter gauge. Ordered by the French government for use during WW I. Repatriated to Great Britain in 1974 from a stone quarry at Marquise Rinxent, Pas de Calais, France.
Under Repair
  • "Isaac," 0-4-2 (Bagnall 3023 / 1953), 610 mm gauge. Repatriated from South Africa, where it had worked at Rustenberg Platinum Mine.
Derelict
  • "Charles Wytock," 4-4-0 (Bagnall 2891 / 1945).  Equipped with a condemned marine boiler.

Additional details regarding all L&B locomotives, as well as the history of this line, can be found on the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway's website.

Lynton & Barnstaple Railway: https://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/

Alan Keefe, Ltd: http://www.alankeef.co.uk/

Date: 07/07/18 00:14
Re: UK: Steam: Lynton & Barnstaple Railway, North Devon
Author: Milepost_130

One additional image of "Lyn" at the Woody Bay station is attached:

Date: 07/07/18 03:46
Author: 86235

Excellent, thanks so much. I've been meaning to get down to Woody Bay to see Lyn.

Date: 07/07/18 10:39
Author: engine3420

Number 2 is a killer.  Thanks for posting.
Chris

Date: 07/07/18 18:09
Author: DKay

Beautiful stuff.Thanks for posting.
Regards,DK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds