Home Open Account Help 207 users online

European Railroad Discussion > What steam engine is this?

Date: 10/23/18 07:25
What steam engine is this?
Author: inCHI

This is a recent photo from Iraq. I'm not sure of the location, I thought through auto translate it was Karbala, but I don't see a railway there. In any case, I don't european steam at all, and I'm wondering if someone knows the maker and origin of this tender-less steam engine. Is it British? I'm wondering if there is an HO scale model of it that has been production.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/18 07:26 by inCHI.

Date: 10/23/18 09:40
Re: What steam engine is this?
Author: GAMVanc

It's a British-built "Stanier 8F" sent to the middle east during WW2. I don't have reference material at hand, but in excess of 700 8Fs were built initially for the LMS starting in the mid-1930s. The last survivors were withdrawn on the last day of British Railways steam operations in 1968. Other examples served in Palestine and then Israel, in Turkey and in Egypt. A few were returned to Britain in the 1950s and at least two have been brought back from Turkey more recently.

George M

Date: 10/23/18 09:49
Author: GAMVanc

One more follow-up. I doubt that an HO model has been offered, but I'm willing to be corrected. However, Hornby do sell an 00 version which conveniently runs on H0 track. There's a very nice 0 scale (1:43.5) kit produced by Modern Outline Kits in the UK. My completed example is shown below, prior to weathering and addition of its shed plate.

George M

Date: 10/23/18 21:50
Author: inCHI

Thanks, that is a thorough answer!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0306 seconds