Home Open Account Help 166 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Question about Italian service

Date: 11/14/18 09:05
Question about Italian service
Author: RevRandy

Has the line from Ponte Nelle Alpi Polpet to Calalzo Pieve Cadore-Cortina in the Veneto been closed/embargoed? 

Remember many wonderful rides there, but now it looks like it is being served only by autobus. Wasn't that long ago that major capital project occured on that line. 

Thanks for any insights

Date: 11/14/18 18:10
Re: Question about Italian service
Author: zars

I rode it in 2015; it did feel as though the rail line was living on borrowed time.  The TrenItalia web site is still selling tickets there from Venizia Mestre, but each of the trains show "autobus" on the last leg from PNA-P to Calazo.  So, they might have stopped the trains.  On the other hand, they have just recently had massive storms with widespread flooding and wind damage in that part of Italy.  The track may be out of service due to landslides or flood damage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/18 07:32 by zars.

Date: 11/15/18 17:33
Author: bakersfielddave

i tried a few months ago and it was advertised as a bus service 

wanted to see this line to complete my visit to the locations they made in the 1965 film 'Von Ryans Express'

however the final trestle bridge scenes where the planes shot at the trains  were filmed on the RENFE in Spain,  but the shootout and attempt to derail the following troop transport at the end was filmed not far from Calazo in Italy

will go there on my  next visit to Italy 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/18 17:36 by bakersfielddave.

Date: 11/16/18 06:32

I have a wonderful memory of riding the line back in 2001.  My parents (then 80 and 79, my father an ex-NYCRR/PC/CR employee) and I rode up to Calalzo from Venezia S.L.  On the return trip, late in the afternoon as the sun set, we boarded at Calalzo into the coach we had ridden up in.  Night fell as we were leaving and off we went down the mountains. No lights were on in the car and soon the ride became spectacular as passed through towns and along vistas, the darkness expanding the feeling of speed.  It was thrilling!  Finally, almost at Ponte nelle Alpi Polpet, a crew member walking back through the train came to our coach and was greatly surprised to find us there enjoying our darkness ride.  "Alora, non sapevo che ci fossero dei passeggeri qui!"  Lights were turned on and our mountaineous rail adventure came to an end.  My parents would often reminisce about that ride in the years to come. 

And why did we take that trip - like all good rail lovers, because it was there ... a chance to go from sea level to the mountains through beautiful country in a few hours on some (to us) unique local line equipment.

Date: 11/18/18 01:56
Author: sys3175

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms-file/allegati/trenitalia_2014/in_regione/Interruzione%20Belluno%20-%20Calalzo.pdf

This says there's a bustitution until December 8, 2018, because they're working on the infrastructure.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/18/18 05:05

Thank you! 

That's the info I was looking for. 

sys3175 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.trenitalia.com/cms-file/allegati/trenit
> alia_2014/in_regione/Interruzione%20Belluno%20-%20
> Calalzo.pdf
>
> This says there's a bustitution until December 8,
> 2018, because they're working on the
> infrastructure.
>
> Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds