Home Open Account Help 325 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Train rides in the West Midlands of England?

Date: 12/13/18 17:08
Train rides in the West Midlands of England?
Author: OHCR1551

At least, I think that’s the proper designation for Leicestershire. I’ve been following an awesome kid on Twitter for two years and only just found out he’s as fond of trains as I am. I don’t want to get his family tickets to somewhere that’s only nearby in American terms. 
He is 12 and is progressing from a wheelchair to a cane after some heavy repairs. Suggestions for places with good access would be especially welcome.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 12/13/18 21:21
Re: Train rides in the West Midlands of England?
Author: andersonb109

The  Great Central Railway is a double track steam worked heritage line with it's terminal there.

Date: 12/14/18 03:20

I see they have a Winter Steam Gala in January with ten engines in steam and they have blue badge parking. That may be just the thing if it fits their schedules.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 12/14/18 13:35
Author: cricketer8for9

Leicestershire is actually in the East Midlands. By American standards not very far from each other, but in England 50 miles can mean a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/18 13:36 by cricketer8for9.

Date: 12/14/18 14:29

Thank you. It's hard to look at a map and not think American-style. Also, the shorter the car trip required, the better.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 12/14/18 23:47
Author: exhaustED

The Great Central railway runs from Loughborough to Leicester and is in the East Midlands. Almost certainly the closest heritage railway to the boy being discussed.

Date: 12/16/18 07:45
Author: Hartington

For me, the decision would rest on where they've already ben plus what part of the county they live in and their access to cars, buses etc to get them to their day out.   For instance if they live in Leicester or Loughborough they may already have been to the Great Central.   If they live east of Leicester the Nene Valley might be their preference; west of Leicester the Battlefield Line.   Now, they may like to go back somewhere they know but that may be beause it's local and inexpensive to get to but if you'repaying for "the experience" the money they might have spent getting tickets to a railway they have previously visited can be put towards travelling further afield.

If they have their own transport and live in the east of the county they could drive to Peterborough and then take a regular train to the National Railway Museum in York.   If they can get to Moor Street station in Birmingham they could ride the "Shakespear Express" run by Vintage Trains down to Stratford and back; a 60mph steam train on the national network rather than a 25mph heritage railway.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds