Home Open Account Help 284 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Glinting steam in Germany 1974

Date: 01/29/19 13:46
Glinting steam in Germany 1974
Author: gregscholl

I posted this on the Steam board also. Moselle River Valley summer of 1975.  2-10-0 in freight service with early morning
golden sun.  Freight appears to be ore cars, similar to those passing it on the track on the right. Sometimes the sun did make a guest appearance in Europe!!!!
Greg Scholl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/19 17:55 by gregscholl.

Date: 01/29/19 15:36
Re: Glinting steam in Germany 1974
Author: Milepost_130

Lovely!

Date: 01/29/19 18:17
Author: Krokodil

Great shot, looks like an empty as it is only powered by a single engine. West (Saarland) bound ore trains usually were double headed with sometimes helpers. Much of the ore came from Kiruna (northern Sweden) by ship to Emden. They were transcoded to rail and transported in 4000 ton trains by steam to Rheine (double headed). The segment between Rheine and the Mosel Valley (Koblez I believe) was electric, typically two BR151 engines, the last leg was with steam again!

Thomas Eckhardt
Hurircane UT

Date: 01/29/19 19:41
Author: Steinzeit2

Interestingly, the vehicles on the right appear to be the two axle French [ Arbel, SGW, usw ] style of ore cars, which were not uncommon on these trains.  But what has me puzzled are the cars behind the locomotive, which appear to have external ribs on the upper [ angled ] side, in the manner of some Arbel coke cars, while the glint suggests an external 'frame' on the upper sides, as some Usinor Fals.   Does anyone have any thoughts on those ?

Best, SZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/19 07:02 by Steinzeit2.

Date: 01/30/19 11:23
Author: gregscholl

Krokodil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shot, looks like an empty as it is only
> powered by a single engine. West (Saarland) bound
> ore trains usually were double headed with
> sometimes helpers. Much of the ore came from
> Kiruna (northern Sweden) by ship to Emden. They
> were transcoded to rail and transported in 4000
> ton trains by steam to Rheine (double headed). The
> segment between Rheine and the Mosel Valley
> (Koblez I believe) was electric, typically two
> BR151 engines, the last leg was with steam again!
>
> Thomas Eckhardt
> Hurircane UT

Yes you are correct in that the ore trains from Emden were steam with mostly 043 3-cylinder oil-burners to Emden.  Thats why I thought when I first posted the image it was a morning passenger train, cause it looked like windows on the sides.  Another poster back-channeled me, and I have to now agree its ore cars of some sort, which makes me question where the shot is.  The first part of the trip was in the area of Trier to Apach in that general area.  Most of the Mosel was electric and it is odd to see steam here even in 1974.  On our first trip in 1972 they were working on the electric for the tunnel at Cochem, so we got few steam moves during that time(most ran at night).  By 74 the line to Koblenz was essentially all electric or diesel, so we mainly avoided it, but there were some steam moves from the Luxembourg border to Ehrang and vacinity.  We also shot some stuff from Lebach to Saarbrucken, and got a cab ride in an 023 between those two points.  Have movies of that.
Greg Scholl
PS We do have a 2-10-0 on a morning passenger train in the area on another shot(film).

Date: 01/31/19 17:34
Author: Krokodil

Looking again at your superb shot, it is actually powered by a BR50 with a tender with a condoctor’s cabin a two cylinder lighter version of the heavier three cylinder version BR44/43. So it’s unlikely to be an ore train. Could it be a coke train in the Saar area?

Thomas Eckhardt 
Hurricane UT

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds