Home Open Account Help 229 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Kassel, New Year's Eve 1965

Date: 02/06/19 11:15
Kassel, New Year's Eve 1965
Author: gbmott

I made a day trip up to Kassel on New Year's Eve of 1965.  It was a typical German winter day and the results were less than real good, but here you go anyway.

Gordon

Date: 02/06/19 11:21
Re: Kassel, New Year's Eve 1965

. . . a couple more.  A bonus photo of E41 239 from my back yard in February 1966 with a hospital train.  The photo isn't sharp enough to read the lettering but I think the train had been taken over by the US military and was used to transport patients between Berlin and the big US Army Hospital in Frankfurt.

Gordon 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/19 11:23 by gbmott.

Date: 02/06/19 11:41
Author: gregscholl

gbmott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . a couple more.  A bonus photo of E41 239
> from my back yard in February 1966 with a hospital
> train.  The photo isn't sharp enough to read the
> lettering but I think the train had been taken
> over by the US military and was used to transport
> patients between Berlin and the big US Army
> Hospital in Frankfurt.
>
> Gordon 
Hey thanks for the batch which were taken on my birthday!!!  It would be 7 years
before I would get to Germany and Europe.  Never saw any 03's. The side of the coal bunker
looks different that the 01.  Were these 03 oil burners, or just different coal bunker?
Like the framing with the HBF sign in the background.  Don't care much of electrics or diesels.
Those big red ones(Diesels) we called "loafs of bread"
Greg
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 02/06/19 11:53
Author: Steinzeit2

Actually that Medical Corps diesel MU was built new for the US Army.  Based on DB's VT 08.5 class, there were six Army VT 08.8's built beginning in 1956;  08.801 and 802 were built for senior generals [ junior generals, if they rated one at all, got a single unit dmu ], while the other four [ 08.803 - 806 ] were the hospital version, and were based at Kaiserslautern.

I imagine the E41 is running with its front pantograph raised instead of the usual rear to avoid pantograph splater on the Army's windshields -- I wonder if that was in the DB's instructions, or a friendly request from the Army crew......

Another great post, gbm.

Best, SZ

Edited to clarify 08.8 numbers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/19 14:41 by Steinzeit2.

Date: 02/06/19 12:04

gregscholl Wrote:
> Never
> saw any 03's. The side of the coal bunker
> looks different that the 01.  Were these 03 oil
> burners, or just different coal bunker?
> Greg
> http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Perhaps SZ can comment as I had never really noticed the tender.  Other 03's that I photographed had tenders the same as, or at least similar to, the 01's

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/19 12:04 by gbmott.

Date: 02/06/19 12:24
Author: Steinzeit2

gregscholl Wrote:
......... The side of the coal bunker
> looks different that the 01.  Were these 03 oil
> burners, or just different coal bunker?

To the best of my knowledge there were no 03.10's converted to oil.  The tender of 03.1043 is a 'standard tender' to which air operated clamshell doors, inter alia, were added, I imagine at the time they were rebuilt postwar [ with new boilers and other improvements ].   Due to the spread of electrification even though they were newly rebuilt and essentially ten or less years old, 03.10's were being withdrawn in '65-66;  I imagine as their train assignments were downgraded, the tender doors were removed as a maintenance item.  Someone more knowledgeable on that class could give a better answer -- some of us prefer electrics......
44 1315 is an oil burner though.

Best, SZ

Date: 02/06/19 15:20
Author: Bob3985

Thanks Gordon. I love the DR/DB photos you took over the years.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 02/08/19 09:14
Author: TAW

gbmott Wrote:
>  It was a typical German winter day and
> the results were less than real good,

The results are great. It has not only the look, but the feel of a typical German winter day. Maybe not good for rivet counters, but I always assume that they are all there.

TAW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0606 seconds