Home Open Account Help 261 users online

European Railroad Discussion > DB in 66: A walk down the Rhine

Date: 02/07/19 13:17
DB in 66: A walk down the Rhine
Author: Steinzeit2

This was a day with a reasonable, though not perfect, weather forecast for the Rhine valley south of Köln, so I had two photo destinations scheduled.  I took an express south from Köln and changed to a sb local at Koblenz, riding it to St Goar; I then walked south on the road parallel to the tracks and river.   En route this location presented itself, a sb E10 passenger [ Photo 1 ].  Then it was on to the first scheduled stop, Block Post Kammereck --- I posted my fav photo from there in my first entry in this series.  I then walked farther south to the town of Oberwesel, my second destination, as I had seen a number of photos in DB publicity materiel and elsewhere taken there.  Photo 2 was just an identifier, and Photo 3 was a warm up....

To be continued

Date: 02/07/19 13:38
Re: DB in 66: A walk down the Rhine

4)  Between the Towers, Not Around Them...
5)  A view of the station;  a nb local behind an E41 is stopped as an E10 with a sb express passes through
6)  The views across the river and downstream were, and I hope still are, superb.  In this view there is a nb parcels / mail train behind an E41 in the distance on this side, while across the river another nb train, probably a tourist agency special, given that in the consist there's one of those year-old impressive [ 27.5 m long ] WRt red restaurant cars built specifically for such traffic, enters a tunnel.  While the west side of the river saw a steady stream of passenger and mail/express trains, across the river there was a similar unending stream of freight and seasonal tourist trains or similar overnight, long distance services, including reliefs.

More.....

Date: 02/07/19 13:40
Author: crusader5619

A quick drive from my home in Germany for 13years. Great pics!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/07/19 14:11
Author: gbmott

Bonn to Koblenz is just magical -- it would be impossible to make that trip too many times.  My first was in 1972 on the old Rheingold and we actually found empty seats in the dome for this part of the trip.  In the 90s I was working in Amsterdam and would make regular trips to Frankfurt to meet with DB.  There was an Amsterdam-Zurich through train with SBB equipment, including one of their Panorama cars, at a very convenient time in the morning.  Sun wasn't perfect, but . . . .   I never think about it in time, but someday I want to take a local and stop off at Brohl and explore the meter-gauge BEG.

Gordon

Date: 02/07/19 14:11

7)  Another northbound passenger on the east bank, formed of Austrian, Dutch, and German stock -- probably Hook of Holland bound.
8)  The sb Rheinpfeil [ Rhine Arrow ]  approaches:  An E10.12 [ = the later 112 class ], 4 Av's, an Ap, the dome car, restaurant w/ bilevel kitchen, and another Ap.  [  Av = coach w/ 9 1st cl compartments, Ap = 1st cl coach with North American coach style seating ]
9)  Not the Rheingold, but its poorer sister, the Rheinpfeil for Munich.   The Rheingold had its name on the side of the dome, and there was a third, spare car for it;  the 'Arrow's dome had no backup, and was lettered for DB;  built a year later than the Rheingolds, they did have larger window panes in the dome, though.   I did take photos of the Rheingold -- it and the Arrow were scheduled about 7 minutes apart -- but I can't find them.

To be concluded.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/19 14:34 by Steinzeit2.

Date: 02/07/19 14:31

After the Rheingold/Rheinpfeil "twins" it was time to retrace my steps, more or less, to Kammereck and St Goar, stopping for more photos on the way:

10)  A southbound passenger behind an E41;  the leading vehicle is a prewar car rebuilt with exterior sliding doors

11 and 12)  Two more shots at Kammereck, with a composition closer to that I had seen that inspired it, 12 in particular.  Nevertheless, the shot I posted a few days ago is my fav  -- in part because the train is one of those short, fast all first class trains I liked to see and ride.

After this there were a few more shots, not readily at hand to post, and back to Köln -- a great day.

Best regards, SZ

Date: 02/07/19 15:19
Author: Waybiller

Really enjoying these Germany in the 60s photos!

Date: 02/07/19 16:51
Author: Pullman

Great views!

I stayed at Schloss Schoenburg in Oberwesel in September of 2001. Great town and lots of rail/river traffic to keep your attention.

Date: 02/07/19 17:01
Author: gbmott

I had forgotten the unique restaurant cars with the bi-level kitchens.

Gordon

Date: 02/08/19 08:53
Author: mundo

NICE !

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds