Home Open Account Help 352 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Finland Sleeper Trains

Date: 03/03/19 11:10
Finland Sleeper Trains
Author: andersonb109

Does anyone here have experience with passenger trains in Finland? I recall someone used to post great photos of trains in Finland but haven't seen any lately. Anyway, I'm booked on a steam photo charter in June. And might, depending on time, want to do the overnight train up to Kemijarvi. I have all the schedules and various accommodation options. But am wondering how crowded the trains get that time of year. I assume like most other European sleepers, space can only be booked 60 days prior. But I might not know final plans until much closer to departure. Would space most likley still be available? Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions.

Date: 03/03/19 12:07
Re: Finland Sleeper Trains
Author: GPutz

In August 2014 I rode the overnight train from Turku to Oulu and back.  Space was not a problem.  In June you must be careful at the summer solstice, around June 21.  Many businesses in Finland and Estonia, and probably other countries, shut down, including restaurants, and people travel to their saunas for a week or so.

Gerry

Date: 03/04/19 06:38
Author: marku51

We used the sleeper just after Christmas of 2017 (Turku-Rovaniemi and Rovaniemi-Helsinki) and we booked a couple of days out. The northbound service was pretty quiet (very quiet from Turku, but based on how many got off at Rovaniemi there must have been a fair number on the portion that joined at Tampere), but the southbound service was almost full, probably in part because it was a Sunday night. I don't know how it compares to the summer for how busy it is though. It was a thouroughly enjoyable way to get to Lapland though--plenty of space in the berths, free wi-fi and overall very comfortable.

Hyvää matkaa!

Date: 03/04/19 08:32
Author: andersonb109

Thanks for the responses. Looks like it would a good and fun experience. I found on the Finish Railway's web site a live map...similar to Amtrak's Track a Train. With one big difference. All but two train were on time. And those were only 10 minutes late. I assume weather in Finland is still very much Winter. So how can that be? Why weren't these dangerous trains canceled? How can they possible run on time in such conditions? Just goes to show it can be done. 

Date: 03/05/19 20:50
Author: GPutz

I believe it's due to well-maintained infrastructure and equipment.  They know what's coming in winter and they prepare for it.  Gerry
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the responses. Looks like it would a good and fun experience. I found on the Finish Railway's web site a live map...similar to Amtrak's Track a Train. With one big difference. All but two train were on time. And those were only 10 minutes late. I assume weather in Finland is still very much Winter. So how can that be? Why weren't these dangerous trains canceled? How can they possible run on time in such conditions? Just goes to show it can be done. 

Date: 03/12/19 17:53
Author: SP4360

You were doing fine until the snark spewed. You know why Brucey.

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the responses. Looks like it would a
> good and fun experience. I found on the Finish
> Railway's web site a live map...similar to
> Amtrak's Track a Train. With one big difference.
> All but two train were on time. And those were
> only 10 minutes late. I assume weather in Finland
> is still very much Winter. So how can that be? Why
> weren't these dangerous trains canceled? How can
> they possible run on time in such conditions? Just
> goes to show it can be done. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds