Home Open Account Help 300 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway 4-8-2 No.5 Hercules

Date: 04/02/19 23:39
Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway 4-8-2 No.5 Hercules
Author: Rattie

My second attempt at posting this.  The video attached to the last post didn't want to encode. Although upload was under the limit for size it was a 4K file.  Lesson learned, downgrade to HD. 

4-8-2 Mountain Class No.5 Hercules departs St Mary's Bay station on the 15" third-scale Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway in Kent on England's south coast on 28th March 2019 and builds to line speed.  

Hercules arrived at the Railway on 20th April 1927 and hauled the inaugural train three months later. Hercules was also used as the loco which powered the famous armoured train during the Second World War. The line is known as Kent’s Main Line in Miniature and survived to the present day in no small way due to the efforts of the late Sir William McAlpine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/19 23:44 by Rattie.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/03/19 07:24
Re: Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway 4-8-2 No.5 Hercules
Author: FiveChime

Glad you were successful with reposting. Nice video.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 04/03/19 09:35
Author: King_Coal

Very nice.

Date: 04/03/19 21:01
Author: DKay

Just beautiful.Music to my ears.
Regards,dK

Date: 04/05/19 10:42
Author: MoPac1

Great railway.  Is it still an official part of the postal system?  Is there a reason why there were no passengers on board?  Can one make a charitable contribution to the railway?

Charles Rice
Saint Louis, MO

Date: 04/06/19 00:40

No, not part of the postal system any more although they still claim to be a public railway.  The footage was filmed on a photo charter, the first ever on the line, hence no passengers.  We were all line side.  I have one more clip to post from the day.  As for a contribution visit the line's website, but after a quick look this morning there doesn't seem to be a way to do so there.

Date: 04/06/19 15:19
Author: Jeff

What is a typical speed for these trains?  Jeff

Date: 04/06/19 15:25
Author: 86235

MoPac1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can one make a
> charitable contribution to the railway?

By becoming a member of the support association.
https://www.rhdr.org.uk/railway-association-membership/

Date: 04/06/19 23:14

20 to 25 MPH.  Because of the one-third scale of everything, you get the impression of bowling along at 70 to 80 MPH.

Date: 04/08/19 23:15
Author: scwillis

I notice the rail joints line up along the section filmed. I've heard that is standard Brit practice vs staggered joints here. Why the difference?
T/Y!!

Date: 04/09/19 23:54

After years of chasing trains, it’s sad to admit I didn’t actually know, so I did some research.

It turns out it's all to do with axle loads. After the jointed track has been in place for some time and if not adequately maintained the joints start to drop. So when a wheel falls into this depression and needs to climb out of the other side, it exerts a force. If the joints are parallel, the effects are more significant and could cause the joints to break. The bottom line is it's not considered such a problem in the UK and Europe because of lighter loads.​

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0596 seconds