Home Open Account Help 397 users online

European Railroad Discussion > More Romania

Date: 05/24/19 21:03
More Romania
Author: dwatry

The next day started in Timisoara overcast and gloomy, but got clearer as the day went on.  Google Maps showed a location at the west end of the Timisoara Nord station yard throat that had a pedestrian bridge across the tracks - so I decided to check it out.   Turns out when I got there that the bridge was so decrepit that you would fall through the flooring, so I shot photos from the informal path across the tracks that all the locals used.

In yesterday's post someone asked about the blue light signals.  Those are shunting or calling-on signals that allow movements within a yard or station area.

1)  CFR Class 40 on train #1765 from Arad-Brasov. 
2)  Regio Calatori Class 570 DMU - former SNCF DMU
3) Regio Calatori DMUs on the yard throat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/19 21:05 by dwatry.

Date: 05/24/19 21:16
Re: More Romania

4)  Regio Calatori DMU (ex SNCF) in Timisoara.
5)  Rail Force One oil train in Radna, with what I think is a former SNCF loco.  Note rebuild of rail alignment underway behind train.
6)  CFR Train #74 to Budapest in Glogovat, outside Arad, Romania.  This shot shows the result of the rebuild underway in the photo above.  Looks like a super railroad, though speeds remain at about 25mph.

Date: 05/24/19 21:19

7)  Unicom Tranz Class 40 on a coal train at Ghioruc.  In foreground work is underway to rebuild the railroad to the standards on the photo above.
8)  More work needed at Ghioruc station - WC looks to be out of service!

Date: 05/25/19 07:54
Author: GettingShort

The first couple and the last have that bedraggled look that is particular to Romania and Moldova. I don't know about you but after awhile it gets in your blood, you grow to love that part of Europe while still understanding it's shortcomings and how hard life can be for most of the people. Especially Moldova.
Really good, thanks!

Date: 05/25/19 09:19

Yes I did like traveling there and want to go back to do some more.  Some aspects of Romania remoinded me of traveling in India or Mexico. 

Date: 05/25/19 18:02
Author: march_hare

GettingShort Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first couple and the last have that bedraggled
> look that is particular to Romania and Moldova. I
> don't know about you but after awhile it gets in
> your blood, you grow to love that part of Europe
> while still understanding it's shortcomings and
> how hard life can be for most of the people.
> Especially Moldova.
> Really good, thanks!

Yes, this. 

Maybe be it’s just me being a 1970s kid from the northeast, or somebody who fell in love with photos of the last years of Colorado narrow gauge, but there’s something about down-at-the -heels railroading that has always appealed to me. 

Thank you, thank you for posting these. This is eastern Europe’s equivalent of the RGS in 1935, or Penn Central in 1975. 

Date: 05/25/19 22:03

Agree - I spent my teen railfan years around Penn Central electrics on decrepit track - so lots to compare with here!

Date: 05/26/19 08:08
Author: GettingShort

Except no mici or Timisoreana beer in PC territory.

Date: 05/27/19 09:11

Haven't had mici but very similar to Croatian cevapcici, I think, which are great.   

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0458 seconds