Home Open Account Help 258 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Edinburgh, UK freight operations

Date: 05/28/19 18:06
Edinburgh, UK freight operations
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Another destination for work trips in the near future is Edinburgh.  My research seems to indicate there is not necessarily much freight in Edinburgh proper, but potentially some good action on the Shotts Line between there and Glasgow.  I will be staying very close to Waverly Station, and could entertain a train ride somewhere out onto the Shotts Line to photograph freight trains if that is feasible.  This trip will also just be afternoon availability for railfanning, so a relatively short train ride is all I can pull.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Date: 05/29/19 03:42
Re: Edinburgh, UK freight operations
Author: 86235

Not sure what you'll find on the Shotts line. You certainly don't need to go that far, the southside suburban line through Morningside has cement, intermodal and alumina traffic. Check realtimetrains for Slateford

Date: 05/29/19 03:58
Author: exhaustED

Prestonpans on the east side gets some freight, on the west side you could go for Slateford as 86235 suggests. I've got a freight timetable for those locations (for different days of the week) - if you want to PM me for details of those, feel free.

Date: 05/29/19 04:20
Author: 86235

exhaustED Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> on the west side you could go for Slateford as 86235 suggests.

Oh no, I wouldn't suggest going to Slateford just using it as a timing point. IIRC on a Friday afternoon there are three east-bounds in quick succession (Alumina, intermodal and cement), all of which pass Slateford.

Date: 06/07/19 15:23
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Copy on all. Good info, guys...much appreciated, as always.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds