Home Open Account Help 293 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Sunny Wales

Date: 06/04/19 07:45
Sunny Wales
Author: 86235

Despite what some like to think the sun does shine in Wales, sometimes for hours at a time :-). And just to prove it here are some pictures from May

1: Abergavenny station footbridge is being refurbished, in the meantime Network Rail's contractors have erected an exceptionally high temporary structure which provides for brilliant views, like this looking south towards the signal box with 66601 on a Westbury to Tunstead empty cement tanks. This has run a few times in the past couple of months, but nothing which smacks of a regular service yet.

2: At the end of March the flow of aggregate and sand from Tarmac's Moreton on Lugg facility to terminals in and around London transferred from DBC (Deutsch Bahn Cargo) to FLHH (Freightliner Heavy Haul). Sadly FLHH run most of the trains after dark but on occasions you can catch one in the light. On May 10th the 6A10 05:56 MoL to Hayes and Harlington passing Penpergwm at about 06:20, some 25 minutes early.

3: At the same time FLHH won the MoL traffic off DBC the latter won back the daily steel train from South to North Wales (Margam & Llanwern to Dee Marsh) from FLHH! Here's DBC liveried 66017 on 6M86 in the lee of Y Mynyddoedd Duon - the Black Mountains 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/19 14:26 by 86235.

Date: 06/04/19 07:59
Re: Sunny Wales

4: May 13th and one of the mini HSTs (2+4) on a Cardiff to Taunton service, this one of the rebuilt sets with retention toilets, disabled toilet access and sliding doors. This is Magor where the newly installed catenary has drastically reduced the number of photo angles.

5: Further along the line towards Severn Tunnel Junction (Cyffordd Twnel Hafren) at Undy Colas 70802 on empty cement tanks from Westbury to Aberthaw. Again the sight lines have been dramatically changed by the OHLE.

6: The following day at Llanharan in the Vale of Glamorgan, west of Cardiff FLHH 66519 heading west on empty stone hoppers running as 6B82 from the FLHH depot at Stoke Gifford (next to Bristol Parkway station) to the steelworks at Port Talbot. I assumed they were going to be loaded with slag from the blast furnaces and taken to London for construction use.

Date: 06/04/19 08:21

7: On May 21st the Westbury to Tunstead empty cement tanks ran again, this time behind FLHH 66621, seen here passing the old station house at Penpergwm

8: Monday 27th was a public holiday in the UK (The Late Spring Bank Holiday). Despite this DBC were still delivering steel to Newport Docks for export, this was the second of two trains they ran carrying steel coil from Margam (the yard serving the Port Talbot steelworks). It's descending the docks branch, clearly Associated British Ports don't pay much attention to RoW weed clearance!

9: Tuesday 28th and one of my favourite spots within 50 miles of home, the cliffs above the River Severn between Purton and Gatcombe in Gloucestershire, although they are inclined to be getting rather overgrown since the work NR did stabilising them a few years back. The train is also one of my favourites, the 6V50 empty vans from Burton on Trent to Cardiff Tidal, a flow which runs twice a week carrying steel reinforcements from the Celsa steelworks in Cardiff to Burton for use in construction.

Date: 06/04/19 08:37

10: Later that same evening I drove down to Abergavenny for the 6M51 timber train with 70813 up front. It had been running early but the preceding passenger train was late, and 6M51 was slowing to a stop at the outer home whilst the passenger (a DMU) cleared the Intermediate Block Signal (IBS) at the top of Llanvihangel bank between Abergavenny and the next signal box, Pontrilas.

11: Freightliner's parent, G&W is starting to apply its corporate style to both locomotives and wagons, such as these new MWAs. This was taken at Severn Tunnel Junction (STJ) last Friday, May 31st

12: Final picture of the month and one of my favourites so far this year, the light was just perfect but it was almost a disaster after the HST seemed to take an age to come to a stop at STJ, release the doors, lock the doors after a single passenger had disembarked and leave, all the while I could see 56087 on realtimemaps getting closer and closer, but all's well that ends well I'm pleased to say. The train is the Dagenham to Bridgend vans, carrying components between two Ford Motor Company factories. Sadly the flow will cease at the end of June after Ford's restructuring, the residual traffic will be carried by road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/19 12:36 by 86235.

Date: 06/04/19 20:00
Author: GPutz

Thanks, Nick, for the sunny views.  It appears that there is more than narrow gauge, steam-powered railroads, too.  Gerry 

Date: 06/06/19 04:03
Author: CM80-46

Wonderful train spotting! Another bucket list location to visit when retirement comes soon.
Hope the sun shines when I make a visit!
CM80.46

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0793 seconds