Home Open Account Help 238 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Trains get in the way of castle pictures, on the Rhine

Date: 06/15/19 13:24
Trains get in the way of castle pictures, on the Rhine
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Not sure why that would be ....

Date: 06/15/19 13:27
Re: Trains get in the way of castle pictures, on the Rhine

Something always messing up the shot

Date: 06/15/19 15:22
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing. I take it freights and the slower passenger trains run on that line?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 06/15/19 15:52

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing. I take it freights and the
> slower passenger trains run on that line?
>
> Victor A. Baird
> http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Yes, railway lines on both sides of the river.
Not super high speed, but faster than trains in East Texas.

Date: 06/15/19 16:19
Author: 2-10-2

The wife & I did that same river trip; we were staying in Bacharach and went to St. Goar and back one day.
The vineyards on the hillsides, castles all over the place, and trains running on both sides of the Rhine.
Thanks for those photos.

2-10-2

Date: 06/16/19 06:28
Author: gbmott

I spent several days recently in Koblenz making day trips by rail in the area and was surprised by the volume of freight traffic on the west side line compared to the east side.  The west side line historically was the principal passenger line, but I suppose the diversion of many passenger trains to the high speed line between Cologne and Frankfurt opened up capacity for priority freight.  I was glad to see that there are still several EC and ICE trains on the west side line, including a morning southbound Hamburg-Zurich service (EC9) using Swiss equipment including a Panorama Car and  nice restaurant car (below).  If you ever have the chance to ride between Cologne and Mainz, do so as it is one of the most scenic I know.

Incidentally, a day ticket is available that is valid on all local/regional trains in the German state of Rheinland-Pfalz (roughly Bonn to Mainz west of the Rhine and east to the French border) so you can jump on and off as you like.  Cost is about US$30.

Gordon  

Date: 06/26/19 11:09
Author: Alco251

Photo #1 is just downstream from Rüdesheim am Rhein. Worth noting is the highway in the foreground, with no autos or trucks. The highway has been closed for construction of a bike lane, which is just along what appears to be the outside guardrail. There was no room for a traditional bike lane, so the entire lane was built as an overhang. It is reportedly the most expensive bike lane ever built in Europe.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/19 11:12 by Alco251.

Date: 07/07/19 20:07
Author: Duna

Great stuff. Interesting dining car seating.

Last time I went (1993, stayed in a hostel in St Goar), the Rhine boats that stop at the small towns was included in the Eurail ticket price.

One of those castles let you explore much of the ruins for a couple DMs. Few railings, broken stone steps, and in some of the dark areas people had strung line along the passageways to help find your way out.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds