Home Open Account Help 322 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Finland Sleeper Train

Date: 07/07/19 07:35
Finland Sleeper Train
Author: andersonb109

Following my brief stop over in Kiev after an excellent steam charter in South Africa, I participated in a steam charter in Finland. For the few days prior, I rode an excellent overnight passenger train from Helsinki's famous Central Station to Rovaniemi just south of the Arctic Circle.The sleepers were of the double deck variety with the en suite rooms on the upper level. The 900k journey took about 12 hours on track so smooth at time I thought we were stopped when were moving at track speed. The train included coaches, a take out/restaurant car run by one staff member. There were no sleeping car attendants. You simply find your car, board, make up your bed, lock the door with a key card and go to sleep. No annoying station announcements to keep you awake. The Conductor lifted my ticket shortly after departure. But be sure to draw your shade. I stayed light the entire trip. 

First two photos are Central Station and it's famous stone men. They even appear in VR advertising. Third is the sleeper upon arrival at Rovaniemi from Helsinki. 

Date: 07/07/19 07:40
Re: Finland Sleeper Train

The Arctic Circle is a short ride from the station on "Santa's Express" bus. Santa lives there. It's a huge tourist trap with lots of Christmas stuff made in China. Second is the sleeper ready for it's return trip to Helsinki. It also carries an auto carrier.  The equipment is nicely decorated with Finish themes.

Date: 07/07/19 07:44

Back in Helsinki. There I used the frequent service to the airport which uses two different routes. It's not an express, making all station stops but way cheaper and faster than a taxi. Last, this steam loco was found in the trees just outside the Rovaniemi station. Photos of the steam charter will follow on the steam board once edited.

Date: 07/07/19 19:12
Author: GPutz

Thanks for the pictures from finland.  The new line running between the central station and the airport is really a two main track circular route with trains running in both directions.  Gerry

Date: 07/07/19 19:44
Author: Duna

Very nice. Sounds like a great trip. Any photos inside the rail cars, esp sleeper or food service?

Date: 07/08/19 02:18

Sorry no. The restaurant car was packed and I don't like taking photos of others in a closed setting without their permission. The sleeper room was quite Small and thus difficult to photograph. Very similar to the British sleepers complete with way too small windows.  Upper and lower bunk beds. Toilet and shower combined in one small boat like space. Only thing different I noticed was the "ladder" to the upper bunk was permanent. The only difference between the upstairs and downstairs rooms was the upper rooms had the facilities. Downstairs were down the hall. 

Date: 07/08/19 07:49
Author: Duna

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry no. The restaurant car was packed and I
> don't like taking photos of others in a closed
> setting without their permission.

I understand. I felt the same way on my Russia trip, where people really value their privacy. Ukraine probably the same?

Date: 07/12/19 08:55
Author: marku51

Great photos, interesting to see it without snow as the time we did it was the middle of winter. I'd like to go back and do it in the summer as well.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds