Home Open Account Help 305 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Scotland's Inter 7 Cities HSTs

Date: 08/09/19 16:24
Scotland's Inter 7 Cities HSTs
Author: 86235

As part of ScotRail's upgrade of internal medium distance services mini-HST sets of four and five cars are being introduced, the Mk 3 trailer cars for which are being rebuilt, with universal access toilets and power operated doors, by Wabtec at Doncaster. This morning I shot one of the newly rebuilt Inter 7 Cities sets en-route to Inverness from Doncaster making its way around Edinburgh on the southside suburban line (the Edinburgh Sub). The seven cities the trains will connect are Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling, Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness.

Date: 08/09/19 17:52
Re: Scotland's Inter 7 Cities HSTs
Author: King_Coal

These are late '70's vintage? Looking pretty good. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 08/09/19 18:09

King_Coal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These are late '70's vintage? Looking pretty good.
> Thanks for sharing.

Yes, constructed between 1975 and 1982. Power cars have been repowered at least once, currently with MTU engines, the passenger cars too have been extensively rebuilt.

Date: 08/10/19 03:30
Author: DKay

Also down here in Australia.The potential the HST's had down here was unimagenemable  ,but the usual political  BS put paid to that.
Regards, DK

Date: 08/12/19 08:58
Author: briancdn

86235 Wrote:
> King_Coal Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > These are late '70's vintage? Looking pretty
> good.
> > Thanks for sharing.
>
> Yes, constructed between 1975 and 1982. Power cars
> have been repowered at least once, currently with
> MTU engines, the passenger cars too have been
> extensively rebuilt.

I think I'd consider the class 43's to be 'locomotives' rather than 'power cars' like the newer DMU's and EMU's where there are passenger seats installed. Regardless; they are one of the railroad world's success stories, after so many years they are still performing the duties for which they were designed. I had a chance to ride behind quite a few of them on a recent trip to England; and they are just as impressive now as when they were first delivered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/19 09:01 by briancdn.

Date: 08/27/19 18:24
Author: gaspeamtrak

Nice picture! 
Looks like I will have to go to Scotland to ride the "HST'S when I hopefully get over there!!!
Thank you for sharing !!! :):):)

Date: 08/28/19 01:11

gaspeamtrak Wrote:
> Nice picture! 
> Looks like I will have to go to Scotland to ride
> the "HST'S when I hopefully get over there!!!
> Thank you for sharing !!! :):):)

You don't have to go that far, both East Midlands Railway and Cross Country operate full length HSTs, although the East Midlands examples should be gone within s couple of years, and Great Western run mini-HSTs on their long distance locals between Penzance and Cardiff.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0522 seconds