Home Open Account Help 321 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Dublin Alexandra Road zinc trains

Date: 09/03/19 17:23
Dublin Alexandra Road zinc trains
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Good evening.

I received some great info on the zinc trains previously from 86235's wonderful replies.  Looks like I may have a shot at seeing these trains next week.  Just a couple of very basic follow on questions, if I may:

1.  Do these trains operate 7 days a week?  By my present schedule, my first open day in Dublin would be a Sunday.  I don't want to walk all that way for no operations (although the walk would do me good).

2.  Are there approximate times of operation for any sort of schedule?  I would get to Dublin right about midday.  By what I see on the previous posts, looks like the zinc train may be about done loading by early afternoon.  This is the difference between me grabbing a taxi or just walking up there.  Either is doable.  But if there is any sort of rough arrival/departure time on which I can plan my transportation, that would be greatly helpful.

Cheers to you all.  The help so far has been magnificent!

Mike

Date: 09/04/19 01:50
Re: Dublin Alexandra Road zinc trains
Author: 86235

They do not run on Sunday. There are two or three a day, the earliest one arrives between 11:00 and mid-day, takes about 75 to 90 minutes to discharge, second one arrives mid afternoon, leaves about 16:00

Date: 09/04/19 04:50

Exactly what I needed.  Thank you so much, yet again!

Date: 09/11/19 11:59

Not sure what happened, but there did not seem to be any zinc trains today, Wednesday 11 September (nor anything). I was on the East Road overpass from 1145-1545 and the only thing that moved was a piece of maintenance of way equipment.

Better luck next time, hopefully.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/11/19 23:26

Bad luck.

I asked around and have been told there are no Tara trains until the end of the month I'm afraid, reason unclear possibly maintenance at Navan? There's the westbound IWT intermodal to Ballina which leaves Alexandra Road between 08:00 and 09:00, the eastbound returning mid afternoon.

Date: 09/13/19 03:47

Problems with new loading equipment, apparently having to be modified. Unclear whether the zinc is being transported by road or stored.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/19 03:48 by 86235.

Date: 09/13/19 08:19

The follow-up information is greatly appreciated!  I did run into a a local fan who mentioned "the freight" should be showing up around 1500, so I was wondering if that was the IWT train.  By 1545, I had enough standing around on the bridge and it was high time to head for the pub.  The IWT wasn't in by then.  I didn't exactly understand what the guy was telling me

I'll be back in Dublin once more next week.  I may well go out and try for the IWT arrival at Alexandra Road if the weather cooperates.

As we all know with railfanning, it's a lot like fishing-- some days you bring home a trophy fish; others, just stare at the water.

Date: 09/13/19 12:37

Last time I saw it the incoming IWT liner passed Kildare shortly after mid day, which would suggest a 13:00 arrival at North Wall yard. IIRC it sits in North Wall Yard for a number of hours before heading into the docks to unload and load the following days train.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/19 13:15 by 86235.

Date: 09/14/19 05:30

Copy that.  I'll plan on heading over to the North Wall accordingly.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds