Home Open Account Help 263 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Portugese Streetcars

Date: 12/29/19 17:42
Portugese Streetcars
Author: gbmott

This is a topic that has been covered many times I am sure, but we were in Lisbon and Porto earlier this month and I can report that all appears well in those cities.  The three remaining (standard gauge) lines in Porto exist largely for tourists, but the lines in Lisbon (meter gauge) are very much a part of the local transportation system -- one line that parallels the river has been equipped with modern light rail vehicles, but the others retain their 4-wheel traditional streetcars for the very practical reason that nothing newer (including busses) can negotiate the curves and grades found in the Old City.  I wish I had had more time to ride and photograph them, but that was not the purpose of the trip.  Nonetheless, below are a few efforts.

Gordon

The first five are in Porto -- the sunset was so spectacular that we jumped off the streetcar we were on and it just happened (really!) that the streetcar museum was across the street, unfortunately closed.

Date: 12/29/19 17:44
Re: Portugese Streetcars

continued...

Date: 12/29/19 17:49

Now a few from Lisbon.  I can't say enough good about Portugal, a place I had once before been and then just for an afternoon.

Date: 12/29/19 18:00

. . . and a few more.  The red streetcar is a tourist operation that loops around the central core -- not worth the money unless you insist on having a seat!  In the distance you see one of the modern LRV's -- only picture I got of one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/19 02:32 by gbmott.

Date: 12/29/19 18:06

One last shot from this month, then a couple from from 1995 showing how little things have changed.  Many of the cars carry a pantagraph as well as a trolley pole as one of the routes using old cars operates over a portion of the LRV route.

Date: 12/29/19 18:06
Author: Lackawanna484

Streetcars, trains, good wine and food, friendly people.  Nice place to visit

Date: 12/29/19 18:13

And lastly, a couple of the "elevadors" that get you up some of the hills.  At least the Gloria Elevador uses the cable only to be linked to the other car -- propulsion is by traction motors on the cars (don't ask me exactly this works in coordination, but . . .).

Date: 12/29/19 21:09
Author: F7sForever

When I was a kid, the local electrified railroad that I fell in love with traction on purchased two Brill single truck trolleys from Porto, and brought them to Washington for the Bicentennial. (They still carry the numbers 1976 and 1776). It was an eye-opener for me that the old trolleys might still be in service somewhere, and I have harbored a desire to see their Portugese brethren in action ever since. Now that I am older, that hasn't changed, other than the added desire to try some authenitc Port after dinner as well. Thanks for sharing these photos, and keeping fuel on the fire to head there.

Jody

Date: 12/30/19 02:30

You can see that the passengers on the Gloria Elevador appear to mostly not be tourists.  Last picture, unfortunately the da Bica elevador was bad-ordered.  Graffiti is an issue in Lisbon and the "elevador" cars stand out all night at the ends of their lines so are easy targets for vandals.

That's all folks!

Gordon

Date: 12/30/19 02:50

F7sForever Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I was a kid, the local electrified railroad
> that I fell in love with traction on purchased two
> Brill single truck trolleys from Porto, and
> brought them to Washington for the Bicentennial. . . .
>
> Jody

There's one (regauged to 3'0") at the Museum in Duluth as well.  It also was brought over around 1975-6.  If I recall correctly there was someone who bought quite a number at that time, imported them to the US, and then sold them pretty widely.  I'm wondering if Lisbon may be wishing they hadn't disposed of them, given the increase in ridership they have apparently experienced over the last 45 years.  The Duluth car is 530 and I saw several active 500-series cars.

Also attached is a photo of a Metro train in Porto -- the system is extensive with much of it (I understand) above ground.  It is more like a super-LRV that a traditional heavy rail metro.

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/19 02:52 by gbmott.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0595 seconds