Home Open Account Help 215 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Paris Stations: Action at Gare de Lyon

Date: 01/08/20 11:50
Paris Stations: Action at Gare de Lyon
Author: F7sForever

I have been going through and sharing photos from my trip to Europe in November 2019, and trying to figure out themes, etc. for the series. One thing I have really enjoyed is the atmosphere in the various major train stations in Paris proper. So I thought I'd try to post a few photos of the platforms here. On some, these may include photos from my visit in 2017.

Four of the major Paris stations - Gare du Nord, Gare de l'Est, Gare Montparnasse, and Gare de Lyon) serve TGV traffic out into the rest of France. Two others, Charles de Gaulle and Marne-la-Vallée, see TGV traffic to the airport and Disneyland Paris respectively, but the TGV traffic from Paris proper originates or terminates at those four stations. Gare de Lyon was the last of the four Paris stations that I visited, on a cold, rainy morning of our last day in Paris.

Gare de Lyon is one of the busiest train stations in France - Wikipedia (the glimmering last bastion of facts, LOL) lists it as the third busiest station in France, seeing 90 million passengers a year. I try really hard not to take photos of peoples' faces, so there aren't many decent shots of the station concourses. It sure was busy while I was there. Gare de Lyon serves three of France's Lignies a Grandes Vitesse (High Speed Lines): the original LGV Sud Est to Lyon, the LGV Alps to Grenoble and other locations in the south, and the LGV Mediteranée to Nice and Marseille on the Mediterranean coast from a connection near Lyon. The LGV Med also connects to Spain via Montpelier, with connecting service run cooperatively with Spanish carrier Renfe. The LGV Sud Est also hosts Lyria service trains into Switzerland, and Gare de Lyon is the stopping point for Tello's overnight sleeper trains to Venice, Italy. Starting this June, the LGV Sud Est will be the route for new Ferricarossa high speed service to Milan, originating from Paris Gare de Lyon. That new offering will be run using TrenItalia ETR400 high speed sets built by Hitatchi and Bombardier. The ETR400 is probably the closest cousin in Europe to the first generation Amtrak Acela trains operated here in the US.

I went to Gare de Lyon hoping to see some variety, and I wasn't disappointed. I did, however, find out that a lot of what I thought I knew about the stations was wrong.

Photo 1: Lyria service was originally started with the TGV PSE sets, the original TGV. Following some redistribution of train sets, Lyria service was being operated using single level POS (Paris-Ostfrankreich-Suddeutchland) trains that originally served routes into Germany. I was expecting POS trains in Lyria decoration, but was surprised that all of the Lyria trains I saw were new EuroDuplex trains like this one. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised - the Duplex trains have been a boon on all of the TGV routes because of their increased capacity. And as TGV service has grown in popularity, the demand for seats has filled that capacity in. Lyria routes shouldn't be any different.

Photo 2: I did see several POS sets, but they have lost the special Lyria decor in favor of Carmillion paint. Most of them were running routes into Switzerland still, but carrying InOui branding instead of Lyria. The 19 TGV POS sets were built using refurbished cars from Reseau trains, mated to newer multi current power cars to allow service out of country.

Photo 3: The other half of the POS equation is the 19 TGV Reseau Duplex trains. I think the original plan for the POS sets was to use their original power cars after refurbishment, but they ended up going onto new Duplex train sets when they were built because they were ready at roughly the same time. The Reseau Duplex is unique among all of the TGV fleets, and all 19 work out of Gare de Lyon on the LGV Med. I was really happy to see this one.

More photos to come.

Date: 01/08/20 11:54
Re: Paris Stations: Action at Gare de Lyon

Photo 4: The Lyria EuroDuplex trains are basically in Carmillion with some wrap decals added. Most prominent aside from the power cars are the red decals on the bar car to advertise the service.

Photo 5: A newer Bombardier-built Regio 2N duplex set for local service around Paris on a TransIlien R-line regional train..

Photo 6: A Tello sleeper train leaves the station. It was empty, so I presume it was going to a nearby yards for service. The trains have a number of first and second class sleeping cars, with a locomotive on either end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/20 13:44 by F7sForever.

Date: 01/08/20 12:00

Photo 7: A TER regional train backs into the station

Photo 8: The motor being used on the push-pull TER train was still carrying the older SNCF Voyages decor, which stopped being used around 2017.

Photo 9: The other learning experience I had: Both of these trains serve the LGV Alps, and are domestic-built TGV Neo Duplexes. The only way I had figured out to tell the difference between the Neo and later Dasye duplex power cars was the grille between the headlights - on the Neos, it was a plate with two circular patterns of holes punched in it. On the Dasyes and EuroDuplex, it was a slotted grille. At least three of the five Neos I saw on this trip have been fitted with the slotted grilles as well, including 250 on the left. So much for that spotting feature. All I can do now is read numbers. 

Date: 01/08/20 12:09

Photo 10: a POS set leaving for Geneva.

Photo 11: One surprise for me was that some of the Reseau Duplexes are getting Carmillion treatment as well. I think I mentioned before that I was surprised by just how much Carmillion paint has been applied since I was in France in 2017. This set surprised me though, because I understand that the Reseau Duplexes will soon be getting new power cars, and I expected them to all keep the blue and gray until then.

Photo 12: A pair of my beloved OUIGO Dasye Duplexes load passengers in preparation for departures south.

All in all, Gare de Lyon is a really fascinating and busy station. I entered from the RER lines in the basement, and never had the chance to go outside. Next time I am there, I will get some exterior photos of the station, and walk a few blocks away to an overpass where I should be able to watch the trains go by rather than just catching them as they cruise in and out of the stub-ended tracks.

The balance of traffic was more TGVs and less TER regional trains, but with the addition of the foreign trains and the variety of TGV equipment, Gare de Lyon was an interesting stop. I hope you guys enjoyed it too.

Jody

Date: 01/08/20 17:54
Author: briancdn

That trackwork in photo 10 is just amazing. Nice series, thanks for posting.

Brian N.

Date: 01/08/20 19:46
Author: Lackawanna484

briancdn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That trackwork in photo 10 is just amazing. Nice
> series, thanks for posting.
>
> Brian N.

It's been a great series.  The intracate switch work, the overhead electric, lots to like

Date: 01/08/20 21:04
Author: WP17

Jody:

I know personally that you are a foodie, so I 'm a bit surprised that you did not mention the renowned Train Bleu restaurant that overlooks the station concouse:-)

WP17

Date: 01/08/20 21:16
Author: WP17

F7sForever mentions in part:

> All in all, Gare de Lyon is a really fascinating
> and busy station. I entered from the RER lines in
> the basement, and never had the chance to go
> outside. Next time I am there, I will get some
> exterior photos of the station, 
> Jody

Jody

If you can't wait for your next visit to Gare de Lyon, I'll be happy to share this photo I took several years of the north facade of the station -- sort of a beaux-arts look to the walls

WP17

Date: 01/08/20 22:23
Author: inCHI

Interesting post! I just booked a trip to France tonight and will be coming back to this as I figure out what I'm going to do there and elsewhere.

Date: 01/09/20 04:24
Author: gbmott

Very nicely done, Jody.  Good information accompanying the photos which is always appreciated.  Thanks for sharing this with us. 

Gordon

Date: 01/09/20 15:16

inCHI Wrote:
> Interesting post! I just booked a trip to France
> tonight and will be coming back to this as I
> figure out what I'm going to do there and
> elsewhere.

I will be posting a few more as well as things go by. When are you going? I am itching to go back already. Trying to align finances and convince the wife that a spring trip to the Med would be a good idea...

Date: 01/09/20 15:52

WP17 Wrote:
> Jody:
>
> I know personally that you are a foodie, so I 'm a
> bit surprised that you did not mention the
> renowned Train Bleu restaurant that overlooks the
> station concouse:-)
>
> WP17

The "foodie" tag is deserved more by my wife; I am just a fat guy who enjoys a tasty meal. I was flying solo on this particular visit, and though I looked at Le Train Bleu from afar, I deliberately didn't explore more because I wanted to save it for a time that she was with me and we could enjoy a meal there together. Another something added to the list of things to do next time. :)

Date: 01/09/20 18:40
Author: Waybiller

It is a splurge, but a meal at Le Train Bleu is a wonderful experience!

Date: 01/09/20 20:05
Author: gaspeamtrak

This really is on my bucket list now ! :)
I have really enjoyed the information you provided about the modern railways of Europe !!!
Thank you so much !
Can't wait for your next post down the line !!! :):):)

Date: 01/09/20 21:27
Author: mexrail

Did 37 days in 12 countries all by rail in 2017 and France, Italy and Switzerland in Oct. 2019 , majority by rail.  Thanks to your excellent posts I'm beginning to understand what I saw and even road.  Last train I rode in Oct. was TGV from Basel into Gare de Lyon.

Keep 'em coming!

Mexrail

Date: 01/14/20 14:08
Author: DrawingroomA

Waybiller Wrote:
> It is a splurge, but a meal at Le Train Bleu is a
> wonderful experience!

I have been there only once, but it was also a wonderful experience for my friends and me. We were inspired to go there because of the very funny film Travels with my Aunt starring Dame Maggie Smith. More recently "Mr. Bean" dined there prior to boarding a train.

Date: 01/15/20 18:14
Author: railsmith

DrawingroomA Wrote:
> Waybiller Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It is a splurge, but a meal at Le Train Bleu is
> a
> > wonderful experience!
>
> I have been there only once, but it was also a
> wonderful experience for my friends and me. We
> were inspired to go there because of the very
> funny film Travels with my Aunt starring Dame
> Maggie Smith. More recently "Mr. Bean" dined there
> prior to boarding a train.

And it is featured in one of Michael Portillo's TV episodes, including an interview with a manager.

Date: 01/28/20 12:32
Author: Cumberland

Great photos!

I must say that image #10 is a bit mesmerizing, with both the switches, as well as the catenary wires!

Matthew

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.114 seconds