Home Open Account Help 328 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Bregenz, Austria & Munich, 1991

Date: 01/12/20 13:32
Bregenz, Austria & Munich, 1991
Author: thebluecomet

Finishing up my 1991 journey through portions of western Europe. We were heading from Zurich to Munich by car in one day and had alot of stops planned.  Posted earlier were stops in Switzerland, the last being St. Gallen.  We crossed through the very western end of Austria and made a brief lunch stop in Bregenz.  After that it was up into Germany, another stop for a beer and some awsome potato salad along the way and finally an early evening arrival in Munich.

1. & 2. Trains parked in Bregenz, Austria.  June 1991

3. An Austrian train set at Munich Hauptbahnoff.

Date: 01/12/20 13:34
Re: Bregenz, Austria & Munich, 1991
Author: F7sForever

I was just thinking about your posts! Glad to see some more! And thanks for sharing.

Jody

Date: 01/12/20 13:34

Various images from the Munich Hauptbahnoff.  June 1991.

Date: 01/12/20 13:36

Several more in no particular order.

Date: 01/12/20 13:46

Last of the series.  That's all I have from the continent. I hope everyone that viewed my postings enjoyed them.  As with most Americans that think European trains are "different" from our own,  I was a bit skeptical about whether I would find things interesting or not.  Pleasantly surprised, I enjoyed every minute along the tracks I had available.  Not being a regular follower of European rails, I can assume that some of the equipment I shot back in1991 is long gone.  Anyone wishing to add any comments on the status of things is welcome to chime in. That's what this site is all about, right?   Thanks again.

Bob S.

Date: 01/12/20 21:00
Author: railsmith

thebluecomet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not being a regular follower of
> European rails, I can assume that some of the
> equipment I shot back in1991 is long gone. 
> Anyone wishing to add any comments on the status
> of things is welcome to chime in.

The Class 1044 Austrian locomotives in photos 1 and 3 would have been converted to push-pull operation and numbered in the 1144 series. Lots of those still on the go.

The Class 401 (ICE-1) high-speed sets seen in photos 5 and 6 were near-new back then and are still very much in use.

Class 111 locomotives as seen in photos 4 and 7 are still in use.

The DB Class 103 electrics (built 1969-74) in photos 7, 8, and 9 were once the flagship of the DB fleet, eventually displaced by the ICEs. The class was withdrawn in 2003 but three that were donated to DB's museum were later recalled for service and served into the past decade. Another was in use by DB's technical division. Those few survivors were repainted in the attractive Trans-Europe Express livery shown on 103 225 in photo 8.  Lots of details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_Class_103

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/20 22:49 by railsmith.

Date: 01/12/20 21:51
Author: gaspeamtrak

Thank you for sharing these historical photos !!! :):):)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.06 seconds