Home Open Account Help 315 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Inside Munich Train Shed in the mid to late 1960s

Date: 01/20/20 13:46
Inside Munich Train Shed in the mid to late 1960s
Author: wabash2800

Does anyone have any photos or can you provide an internet link of the interior of the Munich Train Shed say in circa 1968? I have a fond memory of changing trains in Munich (I believe) as a child and being under a large train shed. I believe we flew into Frankfurt and our eventual destination was Bad Tolz. It seems we changed trains at Munich. It was in the winter and I recall riding behind steam on the way to Munich. I recall looking out a window on a curve and seeing the steam loco, painted black and red with its side rods in motion. I also remember the scene of passenger cars parked inside the train shed emitting steam from their steam lines and the vendors and their carts selling food, etc. Then there were skiers with their skis coming and going. Unfortunately, mom did not like the fact that one vendor was handing the wurst with his bare hands, so we had none of that! I had never rode a trains in the States, but it was my first and only exposure to compartments rather than open coach seating. I do not recall the trip to Bad Tolz, as I beleive it was in the night and our family, including my sisters and brother had fallen fast asleep. On second thought, I seem to recall the train switching cars in the middle of the night. I am told the last train to Bad Tolz would have been a motor car train.

Do my observations over 50 years ago seem correct?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/20 14:40 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/21/20 08:12
Re: Inside Munich Train Shed in the mid to late 1960s
Author: boejoe

I traveled between Frankfurt and Munich in the early 60's.  All trains, and main routes, were electrified from my experiences.  Not to say steam was substituted somewhere - perhaps on the final leg from Munich to Bad Tolz.  Military family?  10th Special Forces Group were headquarted at Bad Tolz in my time.

Date: 01/21/20 13:55
Author: kbs651

Hello Victor,

a quick answer just out of my head. If you took the train from Frankfurt to Munich this would have been all electric. If you came up from say Lindau this might very well have been steam. Going to Bad Tölz the line in the vicinity of Munich was electric, beyond Holzkirchen diesel or steam. I will add a link that may take into the right direction. You may have to fiddle a little with address.

https:// doku-des- alltags.de/ BDMuenchen/ Muenchen/ 20Bw/ 20Hbf/ Bw/202.html

Cheers

kbs651

Date: 01/21/20 19:12
Author: wabash2800

Thanks guys, Yes, dad was in the 10th Special Forces. I distinctly remember seeing a steam loco on one of our trains. Could it have been in the Black Forest? I don't remember locomotives when we were in the train shed, just steam emitting from the steam lines on the cars.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/20 17:40 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.592 seconds