Home Open Account Help 355 users online

European Railroad Discussion > European Station Where Is It?

Date: 04/07/20 03:22
European Station Where Is It?
Author: andersonb109

Adding to my daily list of things I can do to keep busy, I've decided to start a series on European passenger stations. My interest is primarily large major city stations. Each day when possible I'll post a different station that I've photographed in no particular order. Guesses as to location are welcome. If there is no correct answer by the 8:00P  EDT, I divulge the station's location. Some will be easy if the city name is visible.  U.K. stations are included. Here's the first one.

Date: 04/07/20 04:01
Re: European Station Where Is It?
Author: railsmith

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Adding to my daily list of things I can do to keep
> busy, I've decided to start a series on European
> passenger stations. My interest is primarily large
> major city stations. Each day when possible I'll
> post a different station that I've photographed in
> no particular order. Guesses as to location are
> welcome. If there is no correct answer by the
> 8:00P  EDT, I divulge the station's location.
> Some will be easy if the city name is visible. 
> U.K. stations are included. Here's the first one.

Salzburg, Austria.

Date: 04/07/20 06:34
Author: mexrail

Dang, probably one of the few I might know and Railsmith beat me to it.  He is correct!

Mexrail

Date: 04/07/20 06:51
Author: andersonb109

Yes, Salzberg. Perhaps tomorrow's will be a bit more difficult. 

Date: 04/07/20 11:14
Author: boejoe

I'm puzzled: Salzburg or Salzberg?  Perhaps one German and the other English?

Date: 04/07/20 12:19
Author: SOO6617

Salzburg is the correct spelling. In the German language "burg" is a Castle, while "berg" is Mountain. So "Salzburg" means "Salt Castle".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/20 12:20 by SOO6617.

Date: 04/07/20 12:43
Author: moonliter

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm puzzled: Salzburg or Salzberg?  Perhaps one
> German and the other English?
No both words are German, "burg" is castle and berg is "mountain".  "Salz" translates to salt thus "Salzburg" means salt castle.  The area had salt mines which in the day were very valuable.  The town with the castle basically was a toll booth for the river boat traffic.

I'm afraid to say that  have only seen Salzburg station from trackside despite being in Austria many times.  Some of you my recognize the spelling of my surname as being Austrian, the "gl" is the giveaway.  I look forward to this series, great idea.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 04/07/20 19:20
Author: tq-07fan

andersonb109, I like the idea. I can definitely be a contender, depending upon the Country. Unfortunately I am still an essential worker so I may not get to look here until after 8:00 pm EDT. Could you give us 24 hours since although there are a lot of people here in the United States who have made the trek over there this thread concept could be a fun challenge for people on TO from around the Globe. Either way though I like the concept! 

Edit: I almost forgot to add. I didn't realize Austria also uses German. I was confused since it said Train Station but the clock was one of those wonder standard DB clocks! This concept could lead to increased knowledge! Scary...

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/20 19:23 by tq-07fan.

Date: 04/09/20 16:28
Author: colehour

tq-07fan Wrote:

>
> Edit: I almost forgot to add. I didn't realize
> Austria also uses German. .

In German, Austria is Österreich, or the "Eastern Kingdom/Realm." The Austrian state railway system uses the abbreviation ÖBB, "Österreiche Bundesbahnen" or "Austrian Federal Railways."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds