Home Open Account Help 353 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Poland, part 3. Boarding Train R87402 in Swinoujscie

Date: 06/07/20 12:24
Poland, part 3. Boarding Train R87402 in Swinoujscie
Author: gobbl3gook

In fall, 2019 I did a 9 week, 13 country adventure in Europe.  I travelled exclusively by bicycle, train and ferry.  I usually stayed in hostels, but ocassionally camped, stayed with friends, or stayed in hotels.  My route had 48 unique train trips, plus another 20 or so train legs taken as side excursions.  I travelled about 1200 kilometers by bicycle, maybe 5000 by train?  And two Baltic Sea ferry trips.  

Swinoujscie is a port town on the Oder River just as it enters the Baltic Sea.  Large ferries berth on both sides of the river, and there's a little car/foot ferry service across the river.  The city center is on the west side of the river, the train line on the east.  (The west side is not connected to the rest of Poland by land, as there is a lagoon slightly inland that the Polish/Gernam border traverses).  

The train station is a little unassuming building.  There was a big lineup for the train, I arrived with about 20 minutes to spare.  Fortunately everyone was ticketed and boarded without any trouble.  

Photos taken September, 2019.  

Photos: 
1) Train schedule.  Always take a photo whenever you see a train schedule... I was getting a ticket for Regional Train 87402 (You know you're in a country with a lot of trains when they have 5 digit train numbers!) 
2) Boarding R87402, a basic, modern EMU set.  
3) There were a lot of other people with bicycles on the train, as is often the case in Eastern Europe.  It's a standard way of getting around, in the city, towns, or countryside.  

Previous posts in this series
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,4949366
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,4950071

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/20 12:55 by gobbl3gook.

Date: 06/07/20 12:34
Re: Poland, part 3. Boarding Train R87402 in Swinoujscie

Rolling first east, then south.  

4) We passed an incoming train InterCity train

5) And went into the city of Szcien, then out again, on a 10 kilometre loop.  Crossed the Oder River twice.  

6) Ran past a set of parked freight locomotives.  

Rail infrastructure and traffic in Poland is very intense.  Lots of passenger and freight trains, running in all directions at all times.  Lots of equipment parked.  

Date: 06/07/20 12:38

Bonus pics, 

7) Boarding the Oder River ferry

8) Sailing from downtown Swinoujscie

9) It's a wet day on the Oder River

Comments, questions, corrections?  

Ted in UT

Date: 06/07/20 13:16
Author: ironmtn

No questions, comments or corrections - just sincere thanks. I was to travel to Szczecin (Stettin in the German and English form) and Swinoujscie this spring by rail, behind steam. But the tour was cancelled by the novel coronavirus situation. I appreciate seeing in your photos some of the sights I might have seen. Thanks again...

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Date: 06/08/20 11:51

IronMtn, glad you enjoy the photos.  Sorry to hear your adventures were cancelled, hope everything returns in 2021.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds