Home Open Account Help 327 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Poland, part 6. Train Os77558 to Wolsztyn

Date: 06/11/20 21:59
Poland, part 6. Train Os77558 to Wolsztyn
Author: gobbl3gook

Poland, train 77556 from Poznan to Wolztyn.  

Myself, my bicycle, and a bunch of high school kids boarded the train, on a cold, rainy September evening.  

I stood in the middle of the car with my bicycle for the first 20 minutes of so, until the crowds thinned out to the point where I could bungee my bicycle to the wall.  

Meanwhile, I positioned myself so I could see out the door, and out the rear windshield of the train.  

It was an uneventful ride, a little sun, but mostly rain. Flat terrain, villages, a few towns, and a lot of farms.  

These were DMUs, as the line is not electrified. Seems I did not take a photo of the outside of the train.  

Photos 
1) Looking out the rear window of the DMU.  

2) Bicycle looking comfy at the window after most of the students had detrained.  

3) The scenery wasn't dramatic, but it was very pretty.  

Date: 06/11/20 22:07
Re: Poland, part 6. Train Os77558 to Wolsztyn
Author: gobbl3gook

4) Former station along the way.  In a fairly good state of repair.  

5) And a water tower.  Bad glare from inside the car, lots of LED lit bits.  And I was wearing a neon lemon jacket... 

6) Allotment gardens -- many countries in Central Europe have allotment gardens, where you get a pretty decent chunk of land, and can build what looks like a suburban backyard, but without the house.  Or a mobile home park, without the mobile homes.  I loved these things.  Charming as heck.  Check out those pumpkins.  

Here's part of the route on openrailwaymap.org
https://www.openrailwaymap.org/?lang=null&lat=52.14002049277643&lon=16.2762451171875&zoom=15&style=standard

Next post, exploring Wolsztyn at dusk.  

Questions, comments, additions, corrections?  

Ted in UT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/20 22:11 by gobbl3gook.

Date: 06/12/20 00:02
Author: cricketer8for9

I think allotments can be a reflection of an apartment based housing system. 

Date: 06/12/20 02:37
Author: andersonb109

Hope you got to experience some of this in Wolsztyn. The last regularly hauled steam passenger train in the world. 

Date: 06/12/20 18:51
Author: krm152

If that station in Photo 4 could talk, I bet it would tell some tales.
ALLEN

Date: 06/14/20 23:21
Author: pennengineer

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hope you got to experience some of this in
> Wolsztyn. The last regularly hauled steam
> passenger train in the world. 

You forgot to include the qualifier "standard gauge", as there several regularly-hauled narrow gauge passenger trains out there, such as the Harz narrow gauge system.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds