Home Open Account Help 291 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Climbing Glenogle

Date: 08/26/20 11:29
Climbing Glenogle
Author: 86235

Of all the railways lost in Scotland in the post war years perhaps the most scenic was the Callandar and Oban between Dunblane, on the mainline from Glasgow to Perth, and the junction with the West Highland at Crianlarich. Today trains to Oban use the West Highland to Crianlarich and then take a spur down to the Callandar and Oban for the rest of the journey to Oban. Much of the remainder of the route from Crianlarich through Glenogle and down to Callandar, as well as the short branch to Killin, has been turned into part of National Cycle Network Route 7, which I rode on Sunday, or has been used to widen the A85 trunk road.

In steam days this was a difficult railway to work, Oban bound trains were faced with 2% grades up to Glenoglehead which tested both men and machines. The later Caledonian Railway locomotives built for the Callandar and Oban proved to be ineffectual resulting in the LMS importing the handsome ex-Highland Railway Clan Class 4-6-0s, which successfully worked expresses over the Callandar and Oban until replaced by modern LMS classes in the late 1930s.

This is what a Clan looked like. It's on my list of replicas I'd like to see built.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-LMS-CONSTITUENT-COMPANIES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-HIGHLAND-RAILWAY/i-P5QZzvR/A

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/20 14:23 by 86235.

Date: 08/26/20 14:30
Re: Climbing Glenogle
Author: dwatry

Hmmm.  Belpaire firebox.  Must have been a Pennsylvania RR design (Ha!). 

Looks like a nice ride, Nick, even if it might have made a better train ride.

Date: 08/26/20 18:57
Author: wag216

Well, I have made my day! May we think about looking at some North British power?
I always look forward to seeing your U.K. railway photos.
Thank you. wag216 

Date: 08/27/20 11:43
Author: 55002

Nice to see these Nick. This has been on my to do list for ages. I took the bike to Scotland last time, but the weather was grim, got worse, and I abandoned Ben Lomond as well! chris uk.

Date: 08/27/20 13:51
Author: 86235

wag216 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I have made my day! May we think about
> looking at some North British power?
> I always look forward to seeing your U.K. railway
> photos.
> Thank you. wag216 

Here you are, a North British Reid Atlantic.
https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-LNER-CONSTITUENT-COMPANIES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-NORTH-BRITISH-RAILWAY/i-rkqQVDr/A

If it hadn't been for one A Hitler a Reid Atlantic, no.9875 Midlothian, would have survived as it had been earmarked by the LNER for preservation. In fact having been withdrawn it was already in the process of being dismantled when word came from King's Cross that it was to be saved. Frantic efforts were made to reassemble it and it re-entered service in anticipation of being transferred to the LNER's then small York Museum. But said A Hitler intervened and in the interests of national preservation Midlothian was scrapped a second time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/20 13:57 by 86235.

Date: 08/27/20 17:47
Author: wag216

I lile these, too' Many thanks. wag216 

Date: 08/28/20 11:21
Author: exhaustED

Quite spectacular shots of what must have been a really spectacular railway!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0555 seconds