Home Open Account Help 302 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Horseshoe Curve (no, not that one!)

Date: 08/30/20 05:08
Horseshoe Curve (no, not that one!)
Author: 86235

Taken last Monday morning on the West Highland line between Tyndrum Upper and Bridge of Orchy in the west of Scotland, the 08:23 Glasgow Queen Street to Mallaig formed of a pair of class 156 Sprinter DMUs which passes the MWFO 6E45 Fort William to North Blyth alumina tanks at Bridge of Orchy at 10:45. Both trains were on time. The mountain in the background is Beinn Dorain which is a Munro, i.e. over 3000' high. In the final picture the track which runs alongside, but just below, the railway is the West Highland Way, a long distance trail.

Date: 08/30/20 05:12
Re: Horseshoe Curve (no, not that one!)

And here is the 6E45, the loco is GBRf 66741 Swanage Railway. Northbound trains to Fort William run on TThSO. With the closure of the paper mill at Corpach just outside Fort William this is the last freight operation over the West Highland.

Date: 08/30/20 05:18
Author: KimHeusel

Wow! Dramatic images.

Kim Heusel

Date: 08/30/20 05:49
Author: exhaustED

Great shots, that landscape is so epic!

Date: 08/30/20 07:40

exhaustED Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shots, that landscape is so epic!

Yeah, and so are the midges.

Date: 08/30/20 07:48

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> exhaustED Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Great shots, that landscape is so epic!
>
> Yeah, and so are the midges.

I'll second that... you're very brave heading up there in August! I once arrived at a campsite on Skye on a lovely calm summer evening and wondered why everyone seemed to be in their cars rather than sat outside.... I soon reaised why.... as I got out of my car and was engulfed in swarms of the little blighters!

Date: 08/30/20 10:09
Author: gaspeamtrak

This is a absolutely breath taking landscape !!! Passed through here on my way to Glasgow. 
If only I had known how beautiful this place was....
Thank you for sharing...:):):)

Date: 08/30/20 11:31
Author: 55002

A wonderful set of photos, Nick. You've done the horseshoe justice. I've spent many a night at the B&B at Auch, back in the 80s and 90s when it was a farm. It was out for 3 trains before breakfast, and when the landlady heard the 37s on the freight, she'd start the 'Full Scottish'!! Happy times. chris uk.

Date: 08/30/20 11:43
Author: King_Coal

Fantastic photos. Thanks for posting.

Date: 08/31/20 03:33

Thanks everyone, it's a lovely landscape, sadly spoilt by the drone of traffic on the main A82 road. But the midges were awesome :-)

There are some more pictures both from Horseshoe Curve and other railway locations as well as some of the wildlife we encountered

https://nick86235.smugmug.com/Trains/2020

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/20 04:58 by 86235.

Date: 08/31/20 07:11
Author: photobob

I have ridden that line a few times and to me the beauty of it is hard to describe. Really nice photos. I wish I could get back up there again.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 08/31/20 08:03
Author: 55002

I always enjoyed winter trips up there. Short days, often snow, and NO midges!!  Here's Bridge of Orchy in February 1983, with the north bound sleeper arriving. chris uk

Date: 08/31/20 08:26
Author: march_hare

Rode that line with my son as part of his HS graduation gift 5 years back. Easily one of the 10 best scenic rides I've taken, worldwide. 

Date: 08/31/20 08:50

That's a great Highland shot, Chris!

Date: 08/31/20 09:01
Author: TCnR

Wow great stuff. Congrats on the IOTD.
t4p.

Date: 08/31/20 10:42
Author: nm2320

Spectacular. Added to the list. Thank you.

Date: 08/31/20 14:42
Author: Corpach

Looks like a snow patrol loco waiting in the Up loop. If the weather / snow conditions where reported bad on the Moor a LE with a PW Inspector on board would depart Fort William very early in the morning to go far as Bridge of Orchy and either return LE or attach on the front of the Sleepers and double head the train back to Fort William. A great photo that brings back some great memories of my Dad who worked on the West Highland for the majority of his railway career.

Date: 09/02/20 06:11
Author: SD70M

Hoping to go there next month, wee Nicola permitting

Posted from Android

Date: 09/02/20 19:55
Author: dwatry

Beautiful shots Nick!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0594 seconds