Home Open Account Help 144 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Walking abandoned railways in the UK

Date: 01/13/21 18:44
Walking abandoned railways in the UK
Author: mkancle

I greatly enjoy visiting the UK and am always looking to explore old and abandoned railway infrastructure there. These first few pictures are from a portion of the South Durham and Lancashire Railway that has been turned into a walking trail. The Podgill Viaduct can bee seen in the second and third picture. It was the height of summer and was somewhat treed in so I couldn't get a better shot of it!  However, you can see where the viaduct was widened in order to add a second track.  The structure was built of local sandstone. The original viaduct was constructed in the 1850's and the added on section in the late 1880's/early 1890's. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/21 07:27 by mkancle.

Date: 01/13/21 18:47
Re: Walking abandoned railways in the UK

The view from on top of the viaduct and a nearby railroad building that has seen better days. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/21 18:48 by mkancle.

Date: 01/13/21 18:54

A couple of pictures located along the ROW. The first of a derailment and the second of the Merrygill signal box. The current state of the Merrygill signal box can bee seen in the third picture. 

Date: 01/13/21 18:57

Three more pictures taken on the walk! 

Take care,

Matt

Date: 01/14/21 01:39
Author: exhaustED

Nice shots. Interesting stuff. The viaduct is actually made of sandstone, not limestone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/21 15:36 by exhaustED.

Date: 01/14/21 03:20
Author: 86235

Very nice, here in South Wales we have miles of old railway turned into walking and cycling trails, I love cycling along them, being ex railways the gradients are never too severe!!!

Date: 01/14/21 07:32

Thanks guys! I corrected the original post to sandstone. I haven't been to Wales yet but would really like to wander around there one day in the future. The UK is a great place to visit and explore! 
Hopefully all of this Covid related stuff will be relagated to history within the next year or two and international travel will be possible again.

Matt

Date: 01/14/21 13:33
Author: FiveChime

There is a cute younger couple with You Tube segments that explore numerous abandoned rail lines and associated features in the UK.
They seem to come up with something diffrent every week to explore. The wife is charming as she follows her husbund on all these adventures.
I've never been there but find their posts interesting and entertaining.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 01/14/21 15:35
Author: exhaustED

mkancle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks guys! I corrected the original post to
> sandstone. I haven't been to Wales yet but would
> really like to wander around there one day in the
> future. The UK is a great place to visit and
> explore! 
> Hopefully all of this Covid related stuff will be
> relagated to history within the next year or two
> and international travel will be possible again.
>
> Matt

Let's hope you're right about the COVID situation. You'll be very welcome when normality returns!

Date: 01/14/21 17:45
Author: SOO6617

FiveChime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a cute younger couple with You Tube
> segments that explore numerous abandoned rail
> lines and associated features in the UK.
> They seem to come up with something diffrent every
> week to explore. The wife is charming as she
> follows her husbund on all these adventures.
> I've never been there but find their posts
> interesting and entertaining.

That would be Paul and Rebecca Whitewick, I have watched most of their videos.

Date: 01/15/21 06:14
Author: 55002

Many thanks for all the photos. That looks a good ride, and an area I've not explored with the bike. I'm always looking for somewhere different, when we can get out! I'm fortunatein Yorkshire to have plenty of local cycleways. chris uk

Date: 01/15/21 11:34
Author: Hexagon789

There's also a number of closed lines in Scotland in the south, the West Highlands and mid-Highlands which are in lovely countryside and great to walk.

Obviously there are plenty of good walks in England, Wales and Northern Ireland but I'm slightly biased ;)

Basically, once things return to normality I think it's worth doing a bit of research into other areas, there's plenty of great, interesting walks to be found all over the place!

Posted from Android

Date: 01/17/21 17:48
Author: tq-07fan

I got to walk the former Woodhead Route from Penistone to Dumford Bridge (I took a bus back). Good time!

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.055 seconds