Home Open Account Help 254 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Checking in on A. E. Brown

Date: 02/10/21 18:44
Checking in on A. E. Brown
Author: gbmott

We're back in familiar, both to A. E. Brown and to me, territory on the Southern in the Basingstoke area.

1.  BR 35016 Elders Fyffes - Basingstoke 10-16-55
2.  BR 34105 Swanage - Worting Jct. 5-56
3.  BR 30755 The Red Knight - Basingstoke 5-21-56

Stay safe,
Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/21 03:46 by gbmott.

Date: 02/11/21 10:10
Re: Checking in on A. E. Brown
Author: 86235

Another excellent selection. The third picture was taken east of Basingstoke, those are examples of the automatic low pressure pneumatic semaphores installed by the LSWR in 1903/4 over 24 miles from Basingstoke to Woking. They lasted until the mid 1960s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/21 10:46 by 86235.

Date: 02/11/21 10:20

I really enjoy the details that you guys can contribute to many of these photos -- adds a lot.

Gordon

Date: 02/11/21 14:21
Author: ironmtn

gbmott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really enjoy the details that you guys can
> contribute to many of these photos -- adds a lot.
>
> Gordon

Second that motion. Thanks to you all for the interesting and enlightening "color commentary" (as we say for sports broadcasts here in the U.S.). As for this weeks' set, just wonderful, all. Number one is one of the best roster shots of my favorite Bulleid Pacific type that I've seen. Thanks again, Gordon.

MC

Date: 02/11/21 14:35
Author: dwatry

In #3 what are the first 2 cars?  Some kind of parcel vans?  Mail?  Fish?

Date: 02/11/21 14:45

Incidentally, I'm really envious of A E Brown's ability to access the spot where he is standing at Worting Jct.  Clearly one could not do that today.  I'd be interested to hear from some of our UK readers about how lineside access in the UK has changed in the time since these photos were taken.  I have to say that, based on my one time to have been out on the railway (US) with Brown, he would probably not have been put off by a simple "No Trespassing" sign.

Gordon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/21 16:45 by gbmott.

Date: 02/11/21 17:22
Author: lynnpowell

With such a small tender on 35016, did they have to constantly dip water from track pans on their runs?

Date: 02/12/21 07:33
Author: Farningham

Once again Mr Brown's subjects has survived to the present day - 34105 in picture 2 has been back in service, and is currently under overhaul: 34105 Swanage – Preserved British Steam Locomotives

At Worting Junction, where 34105 was pictured, then and now there are public footpaths alongside the line, and another one crossing the 'V' of the junction a bit further west, but nothing that would allow legal access to where Mr Brown is standing.  British railway lines are almost all fenced so trespass involves more than just wandering onto the line, you have to work at it.   My guess is he walked in from the aforementioned footpath crossing.
These days the lineside fencing  around Worting is of the ugly 'Palisade' type, a bit tougher than the post-and-wire seen here.
The line that 34105 is on, towards Micheldever, is now electrified on the third-rail system.

Date: 02/13/21 09:02
Author: Hexagon789

lynnpowell Wrote:
> With such a small tender on 35016, did they have
> to constantly dip water from track pans on their
> runs?

No track pans (water troughs in UK terms) on the Southern.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/14/21 09:59

dwatry Wrote:
> In #3 what are the first 2 cars?  Some kind of
> parcel vans?  Mail?  Fish?

They're Southern Railway utility vans, which were used for all sorts of traffic and as they were piped they were often found in the consist of passenger trains as here. Often used for newspapers and parcels but basically for anything which had to get from A to B quickly.

lynnpowell Wrote:
> With such a small tender on 35016, did they have
> to constantly dip water from track pans on their
> runs?

The Southern Railway longest non-stop run was 83 miles so large tenders were not really necessary, on top of which platform lengths at Waterloo were restricted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/21 10:10 by 86235.

Date: 02/14/21 16:13

gbmott Wrote:
> Incidentally, I'm really envious of A E Brown's
> ability to access the spot where he is standing at
> Worting Jct.  Clearly one could not do that
> today.  I'd be interested to hear from some of
> our UK readers about how lineside access in the UK
> has changed in the time since these photos were
> taken.
>
> Gordon

I wonder whether he shot from behind the concrete p.w. hut which was certainly still there in 1999. If he was in full view the engine crew may well have reported at the next stop or maybe he had permission?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0612 seconds