Home Open Account Help 231 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Mr. Brown was back on the SR this week.

Date: 03/16/21 19:35
Mr. Brown was back on the SR this week.
Author: gbmott

Back from last week's vacation to the States, Mr. Brown again visited the Southern in his favorite haunt of Worting Jct.

1.  BR 34064 Fighter Command - Worting Jct., 4-20-56
2.  BR 30791 Sir Uwaine - Worting Jct., 4-20-56  (I'm having trouble identifying just where this view is from)
3.  BR 34108 Wincanton - Worting Jct., 4-20-56

Everyone take care and stay safe -- have a good week,
Gordon

Date: 03/17/21 04:34
Re: Mr. Brown was back on the SR this week.
Author: JohnMcIvor

As ever, a great selection of photographs. The second picture looks as if the photographer was located between the 'Up' (eastbound) Exeter track on the left and 'Up' Bournemouth track on the right with Worting Junction signal box in the distance. 30791 appears to be heading a fine train of vans for Southampton Terminus/Eastern Docks.
Best wishes, John McIvor
svsfilm.com

Date: 03/17/21 05:20
Author: gbmott

Thanks John, yes now I see.  Somehow the overhead bridge in the background just didn't look right to me but it must be the bridge from which the first photo was taken.  I assume this is a road bridge, is it still there?

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/21 05:22 by gbmott.

Date: 03/17/21 08:12
Author: UP3806

Classic railroading with steam-powered trains, beautiful trackwork, semaphore signals and tower with switching pipework. Really enjoy all of Mr Brown's photos.

Tom

Date: 03/17/21 11:24
Author: JohnMcIvor

Yes, but I believe it is reduced to a footbridge. It is still possible to park close to the Battledown Flyover where the London bound track from Bournemouth passes over the Salisbury/Exeter tracks.

Date: 03/17/21 11:26
Author: Farningham

The bridge is still there and is (always was) a public pedestrian footpath between fields rather than a road for vehicles.  The area is still just in the open country, though the built-up area of Basingstoke is creeping nearer.
Present-day Worting Junction is still busy but there are many more trees and bushes compared with the 1950s, that's true of most of the UK lineside.
https://www.trainspots.co.uk/locpage.php?ts_number=225 has some 'spotting tips' for this location! - try the Real Time Trains link to see what's passing now.

Date: 03/17/21 14:07
Author: 86235

Farningham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.trainspots.co.uk/locpage.php?ts_number
> =225 has some 'spotting tips' for this location! -
> try the Real Time Trains link to see what's
> passing now.

I'd be very careful using Trainspots, I don't think it's been updated in years.

30791 Sir Uwaine was one of the so-called Scotch Arthurs, built by North British in 1925 as a short term expedient to provide additional power for Brighton Line services. Because of turntable limitations they were delivered with six wheeled tenders, which, looking at the picture, Sir Uwaine still had.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/21 15:27 by 86235.

Date: 03/20/21 11:27
Author: kurtarmbruster

Wonderful and beautifully set-up scenes of classic latter-day British steam--thanks so much for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds