Home Open Account Help 256 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Odds and Ends from A. E. Brown

Date: 03/31/21 08:52
Odds and Ends from A. E. Brown
Author: gbmott

We'll take a break from steam locomotives this week and sample some miscellaneous subjects.  That's a wonderful set of semaphores at Basingstoke.  Also included in a Second Section is a copy of the Christmas Card that Mr. Brown sent out in 1955 -- note the UK address.  This is copied from a posting on the Nostalgia & History board a few days ago by PVSFan.

1.  Oxford Shed - 7-31-55
2.  BR 2128 - Reading 5-28-56
3.  BR 30770 St. Prianius - Basingstoke 5-21-56

Gordon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/21 09:00 by gbmott.

Date: 03/31/21 08:54
Re: Odds and Ends from A. E. Brown

Second Section . . . .

Date: 03/31/21 10:09
Author: 86235

Another wonderful selection, I love the 2BIL EMU in no.2

I'm pretty sure no.1 isn't Oxford, all the locomotives are of Southern, specifically London &  South Western Railway heritage. You might find one or two Southern locos in and around Oxford on inter-regional services, but most would be GWR, and there aren't any here. I think it's Basingstoke

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/145851-basingstoke-engine-shed/

Note the power operated semaphores in no.3. The L&SWR was a major user of low pressure pneumatic power signalling in the early years of the 20th Century, including the 24 miles from Basingstoke to Woking, which remained until electrification in the mid 1960s.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/21 12:55 by 86235.

Date: 03/31/21 13:33

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm pretty sure no.1 isn't Oxford. . . I think it's
> Basingstoke.
>
> https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic
> /145851-basingstoke-engine-shed/

Photos from the link you provided would make that seem likely, and certainly Basingstoke was a favorite haunt of A. E. Brown.  Thanks for that and everyone please keep those corrections coming!

Gordon

Date: 04/02/21 16:38
Author: displacedneb

Johnnie Meyers of Dallas Tx did 8mm color movies the few weeks that this operation lasted between Dallas and Fort Worth.
S&G video run by Steve Goen has these for sale as part of a video on the FW&D he sells.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds