Home Open Account Help 329 users online

European Railroad Discussion > A Train in Spain

Date: 05/22/21 11:38
A Train in Spain
Author: kurtarmbruster

In May 1998 I rode this sweet little thing from Madrid to Merida. Passenger units like this diesel-hydraulic carried names and Leslie A-200 style cow horns (Honk! Honk!), the equipment was immaculate, and the crews were some of the friendliest I’ve ever encountered. Yes, that’s a Roman aqueduct in the background. Viva RENFE!  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/21 11:55 by kurtarmbruster.

Date: 05/23/21 05:02
Re: A Train in Spain
Author: GPutz

Ah, but does it remain on the plain?  A tour guide in Spain told me I didn't have to believe everything I heard on Broadway after it started to rain on the Costa del Sol.  Gerry

Date: 05/23/21 11:11
Author: dbrcnw

Is there still an international Talgo service? I've always been fascinated with the technique to "squeeze" the wheels to fit the guage change.

DaleR

Date: 05/23/21 11:35
Author: 86235

dbrcnw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there still an international Talgo service?
>
> DaleR
Sadly not, the tren hotel from Spain to France was summarily withdrawn on the opening of the high speed line from the French / Spanish border to Barcelona in December 2013

Date: 06/01/21 18:38
Author: eminence_grise

Nice to see a Spanish station master. Note the small interlocking plant beside the station, and the station clock.

Date: 06/02/21 02:55
Author: pennengineer

dbrcnw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there still an international Talgo service?
> I've always been fascinated with the technique to
> "squeeze" the wheels to fit the guage change.
>
> DaleR

There is interntional Talgo service, but as the other poster stated, no longer to/from Spain. But Russian Railways did (pre-pandemic) offer a twice-weekly Talgo service Berlin - Moscow that involved a gauge change at the Polish/Belarusian border.

And there are of course numerous domestic Spanish services that utilitze both the Iberian and standard gauge networks by means of gauge changing...

Date: 06/02/21 18:13
Author: Steinzeit2

In December 2022 it is planned to offer through Montreux - Interlaken service with special MOB trainsets using variable gauge wheelsets [ using a different design than Talgo's ] which will be "squeezed", or vv, at Zweisimmen.

I was a fan of "The Third Rail" approach myself.

SZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2002 seconds