Home Open Account Help 279 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Mr. Brown Goes on Sabbatical

Date: 06/12/21 18:27
Mr. Brown Goes on Sabbatical
Author: gbmott

While there are still 120 or so photos that I have not posted, they are somewhat repetitive so I'm going to let Mr. Brown take a sabbatical.  I'm sure he will be back with us in due course.  It has been fun sharing these and especially reading the various comments and corrections that make them all the more interesting.  Everyone enjoy your summer. 

1.  BR 7912 Little Linford Hall - Newbury 6-55
2.  BR 60979 - Banbury 9-17-55
3.  BR 30915 Brighton - Stewart's Lane 3-27-56

Gordon

Date: 06/13/21 05:47
Re: Mr. Brown Goes on Sabbatical
Author: train1275

Very nice series you are doing.

I like the Modified Hall Class (#1) and the Schools Rule (#3) !

Date: 06/13/21 12:12
Author: dwatry

#2 interesting - in the US, the 2-6-2 wheel arrangement was extremely rare, and quickly faded as 4-6-2s or 2-8-2s took over.  Lumber railroads had some very low-drivered 2-6-2s, and Santa Fe and Burlington had moderately-sized stable of 2-6-2s in the pre-WW2 era.  I don't think many operated post WW2 outside of the lumber lines. 

Date: 06/13/21 14:02
Author: gbmott

dwatry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> #2 interesting - in the US, the 2-6-2 wheel
> arrangement was extremely rare, and quickly faded
> as 4-6-2s or 2-8-2s took over.  Lumber railroads
> had some very low-drivered 2-6-2s, and Santa Fe
> and Burlington had moderately-sized stable of
> 2-6-2s in the pre-WW2 era.  I don't think many
> operated post WW2 outside of the lumber lines. 

. . . You missed one of the larger users, Northern Pacific, that had a stable of 50 built in 1906-7, 18 of which were rebuilt 1926-9.  They never particularly endeared themselves to anyone but a surprising number, both rebuilt and original, lasted in service right to the bitter end.  One, an unrebuilt example, survives at the Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth, Minnesota and recently emerged from a multi-year top-to-bottom cosmetic restoration.
Gordon

Date: 06/13/21 21:14
Author: tomstp

Santa Fe 2-6-2's  worked on a lot of branch lines in Texas and Oklahoma into the late 1940's to about 1950.

Date: 06/13/21 21:32
Author: railsmith

dwatry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> #2 interesting - in the US, the 2-6-2 wheel
> arrangement was extremely rare, and quickly faded
> as 4-6-2s or 2-8-2s took over.

Rare in Britain, too, at least as tender locomotives. There were 184 of these V2 types, but only three other examples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_V2

Date: 06/14/21 10:26
Author: 86235

Thanks Gordon for a wonderful series, I've enjoyed them immensely, it's not often you get to see new pictures from the 1950s.

Date: 06/14/21 12:00
Author: smf2mry

I'm a bit late to the party, so forgive my ignorance.  I've searched through many previous threads, but can't find the original explanation of who Mr. Brown was, and how you came to have such a great collection of his photos to share.  point me in the right direction ,thanks so much.

Date: 06/14/21 17:34
Author: ironmtn

Thanks once again, Gordon, for sharing these marvelous images. They have certainly been enjoyed and appreciated, and it seems from the comments of others that I am not alone in such sentiments. Mr. Brown may certainly take a well-deserved sabbatical, and I shall very much look forward to his return.

Have a wonderful summer!

MC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds