Northbound train from Lavochne to Lviv.  

I'll add captions and details later.  

Comments, questions, observations? 

Ted in UT

Date: 09/03/21 01:54
Re: Northbound to Lviv, Ukraine
Author: gobbl3gook

Train to Lviv

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/03/21 07:51
Author: kurtarmbruster

Wonderful! How did you find the trains' time-keeping and overall performance? Thanks very much.

Date: 09/03/21 13:12
Author: krm152

The scenes are great.  They really show a stark reality and insight into Ukraine.
Tghanks for continuing this enlightening series.
ALLEN

Date: 09/03/21 18:06
Author: gbmott

I like the paint scheme.  There must be tens of thousands of passenger cars throughout the former Soviet Union using that basic body shell. Thanks for your travelogue, Ted. it's been really interesting.  I hope we're nowhere near the end of your journey.

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/21 18:08 by gbmott.

Date: 09/03/21 21:14
Author: ironmtn

Two more fine posts. Still enjoying and appreciating your travels. Wish I could read the Cyrillic alphabet to read those schedule boards, images of which you have posted previously. I have cousins and aunts and uncles who can, and they regularly use their skill at their Orthodox parish, and in other contexts, too.  But that skill did not come down to my side of the family (we're all Catholic).. But what is clear in any case is how extensive the service is. Have to say that I am quite impressed.

I'm with Gordon -- hope your travels go on for awhile. Thanks again.

MC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/21 21:14 by ironmtn.

Date: 09/05/21 13:27
Author: cricketer8for9

In terms of train usage it is how I would imagine 1920s USA, though of course it was almost always steam there. 

Date: 09/06/21 07:49
Author: GettingShort

gbmott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the paint scheme.  There must be tens of
> thousands of passenger cars throughout the former
> Soviet Union using that basic body shell. Thanks
> for your travelogue, Ted. it's been really
> interesting.  I hope we're nowhere near the end
> of your journey.
>
> Gordon

Much of the older rolling stock in Russia and other broad gauge Eastern European countries was built in the GDR as war reparations right up to the end of the Soviet Union. They are known as Ammendorf type cars from the name of the builder. At this point I believe most of the original Ammendorf cars are gone from the RZD and Ukrainian Railway. On the other hand almost all longer distance rolling stock used by the Moldovan Railway is original Ammendorf. I photographed this builders plate 3 years ago on the overnight Bucharest to Kishinev Moldova train. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds