Home Open Account Help 252 users online

European Railroad Discussion > More Swiss Wraps

Date: 09/23/21 09:42
More Swiss Wraps
Author: edsaalig

All three are found on Swiss rails in August of 2021.  Two and three, I believe, were in Zermatt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/21 09:43 by edsaalig.

Date: 09/23/21 11:26
Re: More Swiss Wraps
Author: colehour

I've always wanted to ride the Rhätische Bahn, and those photos whet my appetite. 

Interesting to see English words being incorporated into German: downloaden? 

Date: 09/23/21 13:59
Author: TexasRocket

colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've always wanted to ride the Rhätische Bahn,
> and those photos whet my appetite. 
>
> Interesting to see English words being
> incorporated into German: downloaden? 

No different then komputer

Date: 09/23/21 15:42
Author: railsmith

edsaalig Wrote:
> All three are found on Swiss rails in August of
> 2021.  Two and three, I believe, were in Zermatt.

That is not Zermatt. The locomotive is a Rhaetische Bahn Ge 4/4 lll and is not equipped with cogs for rack operation. There are numerous stretches of rack railway on the route of the Glacier Express in the territory west of Disentis, where the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn takes over the train from the Rhaetische Bahn for the rest of the journey to Zermatt, using the MGB's cog-equipped locomotives.

The  type of car with an observation/photographer's compartment -- and opening windows -- seen behind the locomotive in photo 3 suggests strongly that this is on the St. Moritiz-Chur route, where such cars are used as part of six-car "Alvra" sets. Your photo is probably at St. Moritz.

If you scroll to the bottom of the thread linked here, you can see the interior of one such car on a St. Moritz-Chur train in 2018. The photo compartment is typically at the south end of the train. https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,4680382

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/21 15:47 by railsmith.

Date: 09/23/21 16:07
Author: SOO6617

The photos are definately taken at St. Moritz. I really like the slogan on the first locomotive. It translates as "News without the Blah Blah".

Date: 09/27/21 06:14
Author: pennengineer

TexasRocket Wrote:
> colehour Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've always wanted to ride the Rhätische Bahn,
> > and those photos whet my appetite. 
> >
> > Interesting to see English words being
> > incorporated into German: downloaden? 
>
>  No different then komputer

The "germanified" word (German: das "eingedeutschte" Wort) is also written with a "c": "der Computer". The German equivalent is "der Rechner", which literally translates to "calculator". I am only familiar with the k-form "Komputer" from Slavic languages, e.g. when transliterated from Russian.

"Downloaden" is sometimes used to appeal to the more computer-savvy youth, although the German equivalent "herunterladen" is still more common, in my estimation.

The use of "eingedeutschte" English words is sometimes a tad controversial in German society. It is not uncommon for companies to start initiatives to revert to German words rather than those adopted from English, but languages seldom adhere to decrees and as a result such attempts often amount to a "drop of water onto a hot stone", to borrow a common German expresion ("ein Tropfen auf den heißen Stein").

In the railway world, the former CEO of Deutsche Bahn, Rüdiger Grube, started one such initiative after taking office in 2009, which resulted in several germanified words in the railway ecosystem reverting to German: the branding of the ticketing offices reverted from "DB Travel Center" back to "DB Reisezentrum", "Info Point" became "DB Information" ("Information" being a German/English cognate), and so forth. But the most prominent use of English in the system thankfully remained untouched: InterCity Express.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds