Home Open Account Help 279 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Poland rebuilding abandoned RR line to help refugees fleeing war

Date: 04/01/22 20:09
Poland rebuilding abandoned RR line to help refugees fleeing war
Author: RuleG

This is really remarkable.  An 18-mile rail line dating to the nineteenth century which fell into disrepair and disuse is being rebuilt to help Ukrainian refugees escape to safety in Poland.

It would be nice if there was more detail such as when the line was last used and a map showing its location and who is rebuilding the line.  Nevertheless, it's an inspiring story.

https://www.npr.org/sections/pictureshow/2022/03/13/1086032747/russia-ukraine-poland-refugees-train-rail-tracks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/22 20:09 by RuleG.

Date: 04/02/22 10:54
Re: Poland rebuilding abandoned RR line to help refugees fleeing
Author: Lackawanna484

The line is in extreme southeast Poland, near where Poland, Ukraine, and Slovakia converge. I believe it was part of the Austrian empire until 1918.

I will check my 1939 rail guide to see what service was offered then.

Posted from Android

Edited to add:

The section of the rail line being rebuilt runs along Polish highway 84 as it approaches the Ukrainian border.  The area is in the Carpathian mountains, and popular with skiers, etc.  It is a stub of a railroad which ran from imperial Vienna, through Slovakia, and into Poland and what is now Ukraine.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/03/poland-train-ukraine-refugees/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/22 11:53 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 04/02/22 14:39
Author: Train29

Once this is all over and the Russians have been kicked out of the country, lets hope this line stays open and in regular service. Rare mileage indeed.

Date: 04/03/22 13:38
Author: mexrail

When this is all over, Ukraine will surely look even more to the west for trade, etc.  Do you suppose Ukraine will consider building strategic standard gauge lines to connect with Poland, Slovakia and Romania?

Mexrail

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0381 seconds