Home Open Account Help 288 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Zermatt to Zurich or Milan or Marseilles?

Date: 04/11/22 01:51
Zermatt to Zurich or Milan or Marseilles?
Author: goduckies

I need to get to Barcelona on Sat the 28th of May, so I would be leaving Zermatt the Friday... I would prefer to go to Barcelona by train, but for some reason that is not available so I can go to Zurich, Milan or Marseilles and fly there which one is the best scenery? And I have done the Bernina express, so no need to go that route to Milan, it would be the quick one to there. To Zurich I would do the Glacier express route not in the express trains though, is that the best option or take the TGV to Marseilles?

It's frustrating the Lyon to Barcelona segment is not available until that Monday and my cruise will be long gone lol!

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/22 01:53 by goduckies.

Date: 04/11/22 04:20
Re: Zermatt to Zurich or Milan or Marseilles?
Author: railsmith

goduckies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I need to get to Barcelona on Sat the 28th of May,
> so I would be leaving Zermatt the Friday... I
> would prefer to go to Barcelona by train, but for
> some reason that is not available so I can go to
> Zurich, Milan or Marseilles and fly there which
> one is the best scenery? And I have done the
> Bernina express, so no need to go that route to
> Milan, it would be the quick one to there. To
> Zurich I would do the Glacier express route not in
> the express trains though, is that the best
> option or take the TGV to Marseilles?
>
> It's frustrating the Lyon to Barcelona segment is
> not available until that Monday and my cruise will
> be long gone lol!

Zermatt to Milan does not involve the Bernina Express route. You'd go to Visp or Brig on the MGB, then change to a direct train to Milan through the Simplon Tunnel. For example, get to Visp for the 09:25 to Brig (arr 09:32), then 09:44 from Brig, arrving Milan at 11:40.  Some trains would be direct from Visp. I can't vouch for scenery as I've never gone south of Domodossola, which is 80 minutes north of Milan on a fast train.

Zermatt to Zurich Flughafen via Chur, would involve six trains (changing at Brig, Andermatt, Disentis, Chur, Zurich Hbf.), with a running time of seven hours, but not including connection time at each change.  Scenery is good, though.

Date: 04/11/22 05:11

Yeah, I checked connection times a d I need to leave at 10ish to have plenty ty of time for a 9pm flight out of Zurich... so I guess the Milan option is good if I want a longer day in zermatt before I leave. That might be the best plan then then and gives me an extra day in case the matterhorn is cloudy.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/11/22 10:21
Author: birdman

A stopover in Brig on the way to Zurich would be worthwhile.  Lots of SBB passenger and freight activity at the station in Brig as well as MGB narrow gauge activity in front of the station at street level. The Stockalper Castle in Brig is a short walk (1/4 mile south into town) from the station and is very photogenic. A fast SBB train to Zurich from Brig via the Loetschberg Tunnel will get you to Zurich quickly.  Zurich Hauptbahnhof is very busy (100+ trains every hour) including TGV from France, ICE from Germany and Oebb Railjet from Austria.  Zurich Flughaven is a ten to 15 minute ride from the Hauptbahnhof (main station).  Trains to airport run every 7-10 minutes.  Swiss trains are not subject to sudden strikes by railway workers seeking to get a day off as are italian and French trains. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/22 10:26 by birdman.

Date: 04/11/22 12:32

Yeah that would be a good option too, just do the fast version to Zurich there is a 910 swiss air flight from there that would be better than Vueling. I think that might be my best option, gives me a half day extra in zermatt. Or if I've done what I want there already I can take the Glacier express route too.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds