Home Open Account Help 246 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Zermatt to Interlaken....

Date: 05/12/22 15:47
Zermatt to Interlaken....
Author: goduckies

Is it better to go golden pass or Kandersteg?

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/22 16:20 by goduckies.

Date: 05/12/22 17:21
Re: Zermatt to Interlaken....
Author: railsmith

goduckies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it better to go golden pass or Kandersteg?

Going via Golden Pass takes much longer, but has more scenic variety.  You'd have to travel Zermatt-Visp, Visp-Montreux, Montreux-Zweisimmen (about 4.5 hours aboard trains to this point), and then -- ordinarily -- Zweisimmen-Interlaken. However, I just tried this itinerary at the SBB site and it seems there's a "bustitution" on that final leg, which makes it Zweisimmen-Wimmis by bus (48 minutes), then Wimmis-Spiez by train (just 8 minutes) and then a train from Spiez to Interlaken (24 minutes). I couldn't tell when the bustitution ends. 

The Kandersteg route has its attractions too, and is shorter, with three legs. Zermatt-Brig, Brig-Spiez, Spiez-Interlaken. Time on trains would be slightly less than 3 hours. If you left Zermatt around 09:00, you'd still have an afternoon to do things around Interlaken or someplace further into the Jungfrau area.

Date: 05/12/22 17:27

My other debate is since I am going from to zermatt on May 23rd anyway,and it may be cloudy, just go to Montreux day one and then to Zermatt the next day... break it up a bit and if cloudy that day just tske trains all day, maybe the Glacier express route to chur and then to zurich and return... then do Zermatt Wednesday and Jungfrau Thursday and Friday.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/13/22 15:52

Now it looks nice again, so lesson learned, lol adjust on the fly...

Now I think my plan will be basel to zermatt quick to make sure I see the matterhorn, just in case it gets socked in.

Then day 2 explore zermatt and the 2 Peaks. Day 3 through Kandersteg to interlaken and up the Jungfraujuch if still clear day 4 takes all trains and lifts that the Jungfrau pass allows. Day 5 golden pass to Montreux to zurich airport then Fly to Barcelona. Seams like a good plan so far... but be flexible to adjustments.

And thanks for the help and letting me bounce ideas around!

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/22 16:27 by goduckies.

Date: 05/16/22 11:00
Author: DTrainshooter

My wife and I really enjoyed those front row seats on Golden Pass...the decent to Montreux is spectacular !

Date: 05/17/22 04:25

Crap now it shows Rainy again.... grrr lol hopefully it keeps changing to sun!

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/22 04:48 by goduckies.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0301 seconds