Home Open Account Help 308 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Netherlands frieght question; southeast of Amsterdam

Date: 05/31/22 03:52
Netherlands frieght question; southeast of Amsterdam
Author: inCHI

Yesterday we took public transit from Lille, France to Giethoorn in the Netherlands, which doesn't have rail access. It seemed like a busy travel day, it was hard to get a Thaly's ticket that matched our timing so instead we did TGV from Lille to Brussels, NS International IC from Brussels to Amseterdam-Schipol, and NS IC from Schipol to Steenwijk. From there, we took a bus to Giethoorn. The whole journey was incredibly seamless given all of those transfers, and would be seemingly impossible to imitate in the US; because where could you make a good connection to rural bus service. Around Rotterdam, as expected, was where I saw some freight traffic for the first time.

I've read that from the busy Rotterdam area, a lot of freight traffic takes the freight-only Betaweroute to Zevanaar to get to the German border. We travelled much farther north of that, over a line through Lelyland to Zwolle which seems to have been new construction in the 2000's. (I found a 2008 map where I think that segment wasn't built yet.) It is a very robust route, with double track, quadruple track at stations, and a heavy-duty look to all of it. But it seems to be totally devoid of freight traffic, I didn't see a single spur, for example.

South of that route, there is a route through Amersfoort to heads to Germany, and I see online evidence of freight traffic. At Amersfoort, a line from Amsterdam meets a line from Utrecht. I'm wondering if anyone knows loosely how much freight traffic comes to/from those directions (Utrecht and Amsterdam.) I'll be in Amsterdam for a few days and could just head somewhere northwest of Amersfoort if there is enough traffic to justify it. But if that freight traffic is light and there is more that comes into Amersfoort from Utrecht, I might be able to plan a stopover in Amersfoort or head there from Amsterdam. Any insight is appreciated!

Date: 05/31/22 04:23
Re: Netherlands frieght question; southeast of Amsterdam
Author: 86235

The Port of Rotterdam is a large freight origination / destination location. To the south and east of Rotterdam there's intense freight operations. Remember there's a dedicated freight route - Betuweroute - between Rotterdam and the German border. If you can get alongside the Betuweroute you will see plenty of freight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/22 04:57 by 86235.

Date: 05/31/22 06:12
Re: Netherlands freight question; southeast of Amsterdam
Author: petmew

I'm not sure about the current routings, but in the north Delfzijl, Veendam and Coevorden see a couple of freight rains per week or even daily. Zwolle and Flevoland are no rail freight destinations.

Amsterdam still has an harbor, with most of the freight trains leaving via the central station either to Amersfoort, Utrecht or Rotterdam Kijfhoek.

Rotterdam RET streetcar line 25 takes you to stop Vrijenburgerbos in Barendrecht close to the Rotterdam freight line.
There are also roadbridges over the tracks at Reeweg in Rotterdam, walkable from a bus stop of line 68 Rotterdam Waalhaven Westzijde.
And bus 717 between Barendrecht en Zwijdrecht can drop you of at Munnikensteeg, a short walk to the viaduct over Kijfhoek.
Zwijndrecht usually sees passing freight trains, too. There are six train paths per direction in Zwijndrecht, but they are not always used.
Today, until about 1900 freight trains cannot cross the border at Venlo-Kaldenkirchen, so less trains in Zwijndrecht and more on the Betuweroute...

Date: 05/31/22 10:43
Author: inCHI

petmew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not sure about the current routings, but in
> the north Delfzijl, Veendam and Coevorden see a
> couple of freight rains per week or even daily.
> Zwolle and Flevoland are no rail freight
> destinations.

Thanks, that is interesting! It seems like those to/from Delfzijl and Veendam might at least pass through Zwolle to get elsewhere?

> Amsterdam still has an harbor, with most of the
> freight trains leaving via the central station
> either to Amersfoort, Utrecht or Rotterdam
> Kijfhoek.

That's also very useful to know. I might see what I can with a view near the station aside from the station itself.

Thanks for the Rotterdam info as well. I don't think my travel plans allow me to easily get in view of the freight action there, but now I'm leaning towards a stopover tomorrow in Amersfoort during lunch to see if I can see any freight passing by. Otherwise, maybe I'll get lucky in Amsterdam.

Date: 05/31/22 23:53
Author: petmew

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> petmew Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm not sure about the current routings, but in
> > the north Delfzijl, Veendam and Coevorden see a
> > couple of freight rains per week or even daily.
> > Zwolle and Flevoland are no rail freight
> > destinations.
>
> Thanks, that is interesting! It seems like those
> to/from Delfzijl and Veendam might at least pass
> through Zwolle to get elsewhere?

Yes, they have to.

> > Amsterdam still has an harbor, with most of the
> > freight trains leaving via the central station
> > either to Amersfoort, Utrecht or Rotterdam
> > Kijfhoek.
>
> That's also very useful to know. I might see what
> I can with a view near the station aside from the
> station itself.
>
> Thanks for the Rotterdam info as well. I don't
> think my travel plans allow me to easily get in
> view of the freight action there, but now I'm
> leaning towards a stopover tomorrow in Amersfoort
> during lunch to see if I can see any freight
> passing by. Otherwise, maybe I'll get lucky in
> Amsterdam.

In Amersfoort you'll also see a nice collection of old engines near track 7, on tracks 11, 12 and 16.
For track plans, go to sporenplan.nl
upper-left 'Sporenplannen'
click on 'NL' on the map
'Actuele tekeningen - uitgebreid'
and than the coloured line you're interested in for detailed track layouts.
'Actuele tekeningen - simpel' gives a nice overview.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds